• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Govt radical plan to boost jobs and employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Govt radical plan to boost jobs and employment

... by making it easier to sack people!

In a major report to be published as early as this week, the Coalition will reveal the findings of the Beecroft Report which was commissioned by David Cameron to look at workplace deregulation.

Although the Government has yet to agree to the proposals, Whitehall sources have made it clear that both the Prime Minister and the Chancellor want to see changes to the present employment environment which it is believed ties business leaders up in too much red tape.

Proposals in the report include reducing the length of consultations businesses have to enter into before making “collective redundancies” from 90 days to 30 days, a relaxation of the transfer of undertaking (TUPE) rules which are enforced during a take-over and a change to the work permit regime to make it the responsibility of the Home Office and the Border Agency to warn businesses if permits for foreign workers are invalid or about to expire.

The report will be published by the Department for Business, Industry and Skills and is set to reveal tensions with the Business Secretary, Vince Cable, a Liberal Democrat member of the Cabinet.

When parts of the Beecroft Report were leaked to The Sunday Telegraph and The Daily Telegraph last autumn, there was a backlash from some sections of the Liberal Democrat Party, as well as the Labour opposition and the trade unions.

The report said that employment tribunal rules should be relaxed to make it easier to dismiss under-performing staff.

Source: David Cameron pushes for workplace shake-up - Telegraph

Bring back Labour!!!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    ... by making it easier to sack people!

The report said that employment tribunal rules should be relaxed to make it easier to dismiss under-performing staff.
    Source: David Cameron pushes for workplace shake-up - Telegraph

Bring back Labour!!!
    Being a High Performer and gods gift to industry, this does not worry me
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      They'll be replacing Employment Tribunals with Military Tribunals to make them more efficient

Comment

Having no empathy or social conscience should be a bit of a worry though.

Comment

There is a little tulip that works for my current client that has this exact approach. His wages are low and he works the equivalent of 2 peoples jobs and thinks that because he has done it for the last 16 years (makes him a mug in my book) he will always have a job in the client. I pointed out that it was not expensive people that got sacked in the last round of redundancies but mostly the older guys. This doesn't seem to compute in his head so I guess he will have to work for feck all for another 10 years to find out that his company don't like old people regardless of pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
            Having no empathy or social conscience should be a bit of a worry though.
            Yes It's True

I have more money than social conscience

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              There is a little tulip that works for my current client that has this exact approach. His wages are low and he works the equivalent of 2 peoples jobs and thinks that because he has done it for the last 16 years (makes him a mug in my book) he will always have a job in the client. I pointed out that it was not expensive people that got sacked in the last round of redundancies but mostly the older guys. This doesn't seem to compute in his head so I guess he will have to work for feck all for another 10 years to find out that his company don't like old people regardless of pay.
              I too do the equivalent of 2 peoples jobs!

I am however, very very expensive.

+ I don't care if I get laid off, because I could step into another job tomorrow paying even more money.

One of the benefits of working in a field where there is little competition because I am experienced (30 years) and multi-skilled and every one of my skills is in demand in a new industry where headhunting is rife worldwide and there is No competition from/by outsourcing to emerging countries.

This should hold true for at least the next 10 years, and I will be retired by then

Makes me a smug little Sh!te doesn't it

Actually I really enjoy my work too

Comment

Excellent. More companies will set up over here rather than in Europe where staff are unsackable.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Excellent. More companies will set up over here rather than in Europe where staff are unsackable.
                  and it will give some incentive to the workerss over here to get some work done instead of dossing about all day (and posting on cuk)

Comment

I too do the equivalent of 2 peoples jobs!

I am however, very very expensive.

+ I don't care if I get laid off, because I could step into another job tomorrow paying even more money.

One of the benefits of working in a field where there is little competition because I am experienced (30 years) and multi-skilled and every one of my skills is in demand in a new industry where headhunting is rife worldwide and there is No competition from/by outsourcing to emerging countries.

This should hold true for at least the next 10 years, and I will be retired by then

Makes me a smug little Sh!te doesn't it

Actually I really enjoy my work too
                    What do you do? And how much is highly expensive? I want a piece of this action.

Comment

Working...
                    X