• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Art for the home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art for the home

Would like to buy decent reproductions of famous paintings - not sure where and how cheap these can be had.

Google led to one source at fabulousmasterpieces.co.uk.

Know anyplace else?

Aren't there any Chinese sellers that do the same for £60 rather than the £600 or so the site above wants?

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post

Aren't there any Chinese sellers that do the same for £60 rather than the £600 or so the site above wants?
    Timberwolf will know somewhere even cheaper!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Not really into art but have a framed signed limited addition print by Josh Kirby, Discworld book cover in my office. Not worth the earth but I liked it.

I suppose it depends on your motivation, be it investment or cos you like it, nice if it's both I suppose.

Josh Kirby
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
        Would like to buy decent reproductions of famous paintings - not sure where and how cheap these can be had.

Google led to one source at fabulousmasterpieces.co.uk.

Know anyplace else?

I came across this a few years ago

a whole village of great masters
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Or how about original posters? Prices can vary from zero to thousands. I've got into 1950s/60s motor racing posters in the last four years. Some lovely posters from artist such as Roy Nockolds, Geo Ham and Beligond. I have found that popular posters are a sound investment at present. Le Mans is an example:

24 heures du Mans – 1960s

Travel and film posters are very popular, but there's such a massive spectrum of topics. If you're careful you can find some bargains on eBay, but watch out for reproductions. Also, prices can vary wildly for the same thing.

Comment

I buy art both for the home and as an investment. Over the years I've doubled what I've spent.

Would you rather have a repro or an original quality painting? Check out the fine art auction houses and Google artist names to see how popular they are which should give you an idea of what's a good investment.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I've always fancied collecting rare paintings.

My favourite is that one of the dogs playing cards.

Comment

We were talking about this yesterday. personally i love the graffiti characters on the Apprentice the other week, but no way am I paying that money!

I have two friends who are both wannabe artists, so they are going to give it a crack for me. Not free, but much cheaper!
                I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

My parents always had art in their home so it seems perfectly natural for me.

I go for what I like and can live with rather than as an investment.

Sometimes I've rolled my own. That rather nice arty desk diary I got at work one year got cut up and a selection of the photos framed and put up on the wall. A friend took a load of black and white photos around his village, mounted them, got someone to do copperplate titles and framed the result. They looked really good in his Olde Worlde cottage.

By all means do the investment thing, but you can do stuff yourself too. Just sayin' like.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Posters are really for students, prints by grand masters are a tad cliche and need to be well framed to avoid been tacky. The best advice would be to visit the Roy Watercolour Society at Bankside and choose original works at reasonable prices.
                    Make sure you only buy what you like
                    HTH
                    Last edited by Troll; 21 May 2012, 19:16. Reason: andrioid tulip
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X