• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you taken young kids abroad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you taken young kids abroad?

No, not a Missing McCann thread (IMO she did it!), but have you taken young children on holiday (flights etc)? The wife is a little off the idea as the kids on a flight for up to 4hrs is not something she fancies. Kids are 3 & 5.

Also, having a 16yr old lad, we dont really want to do a package holiday where we are all in the same room...

We're just struggling to see why you'd pay so much when we can drive down to france with regular breaks etc and stay in a cottage.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Rent a villa, book flights and hire car. Simples

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
      No, not a Missing McCann thread (IMO she did it!), but have you taken young children on holiday (flights etc)? The wife is a little off the idea as the kids on a flight for up to 4hrs is not something she fancies. Kids are 3 & 5.

Also, having a 16yr old lad, we dont really want to do a package holiday where we are all in the same room...

We're just struggling to see why you'd pay so much when we can drive down to france with regular breaks etc and stay in a cottage.
      Have been back to NZ a couple of times, last time the little 'uns were 2 & 4. So that's about 22hrs on the plane, 2x11 hour trips basically.

4 hours is nothing. Take a late flight, hopefully they'll sleep. Boredom is the killer, you need to be organised with lot's of things for them to do if you can. On decent long-haul there should be films for them etc.

Stressful times can be good for family bonding
      Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

IMHO if you are scared of a 3 and 5 year old's reaction to a 4 hour flight you have other issues that need addressing.

Comment

Don’t go out drinking and leave them alone.

HTH

one day at a time

Comment

I hate flying with a passion, but sometimes you've just got to get on with it otherwise you end up missing out on experiences.

We had more trouble when our kids were babies. Now that they are 3 and 5 it's relatively easy: just keep them busy with the ipad (movies etc) or drawing, colouring etc. We went on a 5 hour flight and it was OK... they got bored after about 3 hours but didn't really kick up a stink. Holiday was well worth it.

Comment

I would suggest going on a cruise, but that is probably more of a hassle than what it is worth.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                I would suggest going on a cruise, but that is probably more of a hassle than what it is worth.
                So what your saying is you would not suggest going on a cruise...

Comment

never taken them on a flight, but I have taken them on long car journeys (8 hours).
                  I normally set off at about 3am, this avoids any traffic problems, and the kids sleep through. I took them down to Devon and they were amazed how close it was to Manchester, only 5 minutes away

It is a full time job to keep them entertained though.
                  This year I am trying something different, a week in Centre Parcs for about 2k

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    IMHO if you are scared of a 3 and 5 year old's reaction to a 4 hour flight you have other issues that need addressing.
                    Such as? Do feel free to expand...
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                    X