• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fast lane hoggers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast lane hoggers

What do you do when you're stuck behind somebody in the outside lane who is doing 60 mph & has absolutely no intention whatsoever of getting back into the inside lane even though it's clear as far as the eye can see?
    Flash your lights and wave your fist
    7.69%
    Undertake
    71.79%
    Take a chill pill and do nothing
    15.38%
    I'm AndyW - my Robin Reliant doesn't go that fast
    5.13%

I find driving about 10mm off their back bumper and swerving left-to-right behind them and they soon get the message.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
      I find driving about 10mm off their back bumper and swerving left-to-right behind them and they soon get the message.

HTH
      And if they decide to break?

Comment

First off, I'd laugh at myself for calling the overtaking lane the fast lane, then I'd check what speeds I was going, then calculate if I was really that bothered by it.

Sphere of influence; only get pissed at stuff you have control of.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          And if they decide to break?
          The car should break, or the car should brake ?

Can't do much about the first one.

Nah, these are the fookers tha cause all the problems on the motorways. Sat at 60 in the outside lane, never indicate between lanes just wander over, never look in the blind spots and are sat so close to the steering wheel that their chin rests on it.

Comment

One thing I do is I go into the inside lane and I drive almost parallel but just a bit behind. It's very unnerving for he driver in the outside lane, because it looks like you might overtake him on the inside, but you don't (after all it's a £100 fine and points on your licence). It also sends a very clear message, "look the inside lane is free what the f** are you doing in the outside lane".
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Nah, these are the fookers tha cause all the problems on the motorways. Sat at 60 in the outside lane, never indicate between lanes just wander over, never look in the blind spots and are sat so close to the steering wheel that their chin rests on it.
              I thought this particular species lived exclusively in the middle lane? Or am I thinking of the sub-species which has eyes as wide as a frightened rabbit?

Personally I rarely get wound up by the outside lane hogger, although I did have to give 5 seconds of full-beam to one this morning. The poor dears get confused when the M4 goes from 2 to 3 lanes after Newport.

Perhaps a motorway driving test should be on the cards?

Comment

The car should break, or the car should brake ?

Can't do much about the first one.

Actually, what causes the problems on the motorways is when they (or lorries, coaches etc) are in the inside lane and pull out. This introduces a disruption into the flow of traffic and that causes a compression wave that propagates similarly to a sound wave as faster traffic slows down behind them. If the traffic is dense enough you get the equivalent of a "sonic boom" and things actually come to a halt.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Actually, what causes the problems on the motorways is when they (or lorries, coaches etc) are in the inside lane and pull out. This introduces a disruption into the flow of traffic and that causes a compression wave that propagates similarly to a sound wave as faster traffic slows down behind them. If the traffic is dense enough you get the equivalent of a "sonic boom" and things actually come to a halt.
                  I often think Lorries/trucks shouldn't be allowed to use the middle lane on Motorways in rush hour, as like you, I think this causes most flow issues. The fact they seem to indicate and pull out in one movement doesn't help, the feckless pricks, but I think this could improve flow.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                    What do you do when you're stuck behind somebody in the outside lane who is doing 60 mph & has absolutely no intention whatsoever of getting back into the inside lane even though it's clear as far as the eye can see?
                    Pass them on the inside lane, of course!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X