• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Has Requested Passport and Photo for Company Intranet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Has Requested Passport and Photo for Company Intranet

I'm contracting directly and not through an agent and the HR department have requested a copy of my passport "to complete the HR process" and want to take a photo of me to put on the company intranet.

I have a Ltd company and I'm endeavouring to be outside of IR35, but I am concerned that this kind of thing may be relevant as a potential indicator of employment as it suggests being 'part and parcel' of the organization.

Any advice on this?

Originally posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I'm contracting directly and not through an agent and the HR department have requested a copy of my passport "to complete the HR process" and want to take a photo of me to put on the company intranet.

I have a Ltd company and I'm endeavouring to be outside of IR35, but I am concerned that this kind of thing may be relevant as a potential indicator of employment as it suggests being 'part and parcel' of the organization.

Any advice on this?
    Tell them to make sure it says "contractor" or 3rd party etc. No harm done if that separation is made.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Any advice on this?
      From my basic understanding, IR35 is about Direction and Control. Is putting your ugly mugshot on the intranet considered to be Direction and Control of your working practices? Are you worried that your mugshot will bring down the corporate intranet?

As long as the client recognises you as a provider of services, surely it doesn't matter if your mugshot is on their intranet.

Asking for a copy of your passport is for their protection to make sure you are not working for them illegally.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        From my basic understanding, IR35 is about Direction and Control. Is putting your ugly mugshot on the intranet considered to be Direction and Control of your working practices? Are you worried that your mugshot will bring down the corporate intranet?

As long as the client recognises you as a provider of services, surely it doesn't matter if your mugshot is on their intranet.

Asking for a copy of your passport is for their protection to make sure you are not working for them illegally.
        This +1. You need to think a little deeper about what IR35 is and there for and then understand the impact rather than just call foul everytime your client asks you for something.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What about "part and parcel" indicators ?

Comment

From my basic understanding, IR35 is about Direction and Control.
            No it isn't. It's about whether you are an employee of the client. Do they ask all their suppliers to put their photos and information on the website? If they have a plumber in, does he appear on the Intranet, or is it just for employees? Is there anything on the Intranet which distinguishes suppliers and employees?

Well, there's the problem, isn't it? If you are showing up on their systems as an employee, then your ability to argue with HMRC that you are not an employee becomes significantly harder.

This I agree with.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why do they need your passport for the company intranet?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                No it isn't. It's about whether you are an employee of the client. Do they ask all their suppliers to put their photos and information on the website? If they have a plumber in, does he appear on the Intranet, or is it just for employees? Is there anything on the Intranet which distinguishes suppliers and employees?
                Direction and control and a few other factors can be seen as a disguised employee. I know D&C is not the only factor. The abscense of MOO and other factors as well.

Regarding the plumber example... it's not really the same thing. A plumber tends to provide ad-hoc services, where as, for example, an IT Contractor tends to provide a service for a period of time (e.g. 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, etc). I know some IT Contractors provide services on a ad-hoc basis, but I am taking the OP's issue as a non-adhoc Contractor..... so your example is, in a way, comparing Apples with Pears in that you are comparing an adhoc service provider (someone who comes in as and when there is a plumbing issue to resolve) with a provider of services that is available for a continuous period of time (i.e. 5 days a week over a period of time).

Well, there's the problem, isn't it? If you are showing up on their systems as an employee, then your ability to argue with HMRC that you are not an employee becomes significantly harder.
                If HR put your details on their system, and their system does not discriminate between contractors and those who are employed by the company, then it may be difficult.

This I agree with.
                Something we agree on? I may need to take a holiday.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Why do they need your passport for the company intranet?
                  I don't think they want the passport for the intranet, just the OP's mugshot. The Passport is for the "HR Process".

Comment

Any advice on this?
                    Should this be in general?

Advice? How about becoming permie. that'll learn ya
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X