• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXXV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXXV

Once I've posted these, I'm off to the airport! (I'm not actually going anywhere, just picking up a parcel from DHL.)
    • Quotations involving Tea - As the Japanese proverb says, "If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty."

• Shooting for the Sun - "From his childhood in segregated Mobile, Alabama, to his run-ins with a nay-saying scientific establishment, the engineer Lonnie Johnson has never paid much heed to those who told him what he could and couldn’t accomplish. Best known for creating the state-of-the-art Super Soaker squirt gun, Johnson believes he now holds the key to affordable solar power."

• Bananaphone: A Touch Capacitance Synth - "I was recently inspired by a Kickstart project which used Bananas as sensors to control a video game on a PC. I've done some video game controls using the Propeller in the past, but I thought this would make an interesting synthesizer project." Musical instruments you can eat FTW!

• In Gatsby's Tracks: Locating the Valley of Ashes in a 1924 Photo - Levi Asher tracks down the real-world locations of some of the key scenes in The Great Gatsby: "...one of Fitzgerald's earliest inspirations for The Great Gatsby was the striking vision of a vast, desolate "valley of ashes" -- a gigantic trash burning operation -- on the road between Great Neck and Manhattan. The infernal vision seemed to provide an ironic counterpoint to the opulent social swirls of New York City and Great Neck, as if the passage revealed some deeper truth about the souls who traveled it."

• Olympic Defence: the Unofficial London 2012 Security Game - "Click to make the Olympic Mascots fire their roof-mounted missiles! Aim for terrorists, protestors, and any illegal advertising!"

• Château Sucker - "Rare-wine collectors are savvy, competitive guys with a taste for impossible finds. The biggest hoax in history took place right under their noses." The remarkable tale of how an unknown collector rose to such prominence in the world of oenology that he was able to sell re-labelled cheap plonk for millions of dollars.

• Remembering the Executed: Elizabeth Brownrigg - "Elizabeth was good at her job and treated the women in her care with respect and great kindness... It was now that Elizabeth began subjecting both girls to horrific abuse. They were verbally abused, beaten, stripped naked and whipped, for the slightest mistakes or rule breaking within the household. They were not fed properly or given a decent place to sleep, often being left to go cold and hungry in the cellar of the house." Dark doings in the eighteenth century; and lots of other interesting tales on this blog about those who were put to death in various ages.

• Devastation and Recovery at Mt. St. Helens - It was thirty-two years ago last Friday that Mt. St. Helens blew up: "Mt. St. Helens has given scientists an unprecedented opportunity to witness the intricate steps through which life reclaims a devastated landscape. The scale of the eruption and the beginning of reclamation in the Mt. St. Helens blast zone are documented in this series of images captured by NASA’s Landsat series of satellites between 1979 and 2011."

• 25 Handy Words That Simply Don’t Exist In English - "Age-otori (Japanese): To look worse after a haircut." Know the feeling

• Is This Feminist? - "Because being a marginally acceptable feminist is a full time job."

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    [*]25 Handy Words That Simply Don’t Exist In English - "Age-otori (Japanese): To look worse after a haircut." Know the feeling

[/LIST]

Happy invoicing!
    A few to add from Cymraeg

Hwyl - Roughly translated as having a bit of dog, passion etc. Like Wales v England rugby.

Hiraeth - A longing for home specifically Wales.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Nice game!

MONEY SPENT: 1132956857 GBP

TERRORISTS FOILED: 0

PROTESTS STOPPED: 41

CIVILIANS KILLED: 8916

CIVIL LIBERTIES: N/A

Comment

Bakku-shan (Japanese): A beautiful girl… as long as she’s being viewed from behind

They not heard of BoBFoC? (Body off Baywatch, Face off Crimewatch)?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Bakku-shan (Japanese): A beautiful girl… as long as she’s being viewed from behind

They not heard of BoBFoC? (Body off Baywatch, Face off Crimewatch)?
          Kronenburg, surely?

16 from the back, 64 from the front.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Nice game!

MONEY SPENT: 1132956857 GBP

TERRORISTS FOILED: 0

PROTESTS STOPPED: 41

CIVILIANS KILLED: 8916

CIVIL LIBERTIES: N/A

I was chatting with Tom Scott (creator of the game) at Mozilla's place in London a couple of weeks ago. He never mentioned the game, so I suspect it was one of those things that just came to him and that he immediately implemented. I wish I still had that kind of drive

Comment

Working...
            X