• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guide to the EU Cookie Law (PECR)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide to the EU Cookie Law (PECR)

The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 come into force on Saturday 26th May.

While researching it I've come across some useful info that I thought I'd share.

Here's the horse's mouth.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Here's the official guidelines from the ICO.
    New PECR rules

This is a great beginner's guide.
    Silktide - The definitive guide to the Cookie Law
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Am I missing something here? Article says..

These Regulations may be cited as the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 and shall come into force on 26th May 2011.
    Also that last link crashes my (old) browser everytime I open it....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

yeah i was thinking much the same about 2011? facebook shares to take an even bigger tumble once you have to ask for cookies permission?

Comment

I think 2011 is correct. Companies have had 12 months to comply so after 26th May 2012 they can get a slap on the wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          I think 2011 is correct. Companies have had 12 months to comply so after 26th May 2012 they can get a slap on the wrist.
          Ahhhhhh, that makes sense. Thank you.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep, enforcement begins on the 26th.

And the slap on the wrist could cost them £500k, but nobody will get that
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I'm not going to wade through that lot, but if I remember correctly, when this was proposed in 2010 and the ammendments made in 2011, it still left US to police the internet ourselves and report infractions as there was/is no government funded investigation body with a Cookie remit.

Somebody please check, I'm far too busy
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                Somebody please check, I'm far too busy
                I think the plan is to ignore the law and do nothing unless someone complains.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Having spent ages talking to the ICO about it unless you are actively flaunting the law they won't do anything.

And if you are flaunting the law unless you are keeping highly sensitive data the law doesn't allow them to issue a fine of an real amount. Yes they will be sending letters, and taking some enforcement, but as the maximum fine would be something like £5000 enforcement of this act will not be a priority for them.
                  Last edited by eek; 24 May 2012, 20:05.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Some websites are starting to p155 me off already... "Allow cookies" prompts
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                    X