• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where would you be without your Flash-Matic?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where would you be without your Flash-Matic?

It all started in 1955

The inventor of the television remote control has died at the age of 96, his former employer has said.

Zenith Electronics said Eugene Polley passed away of natural causes on Sunday at a Chicago hospital.

His 1955 invention, Flash-Matic, pointed a beam of light at photo cells on each corner of the TV, turning it off and on and changing the channels.

RIP

You need remote control on a wire, really.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

But that was 1956. The Flash-Matic was a year earlier - it's the future I tells yar

Comment

My nans first remote plugged into the TV when you didn't need it, my granddad insisted on leaving it in the TV to save on batteries.

There was an early Sony sonic remote that had 2 buttons, if you did a loud 'SShusssh' the TV would mute.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If ms doodab has left the remote on the table I have to walk past the TV to get it so I often use the buttons on the side of the telly instead.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I sometimes wonder (and wished) why TV remotes can't use radio waves rather than infrared, as the former travels better through bed sheets etc. Still, with the rise of the smartphone that will no doubt be the future.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              I sometimes wonder (and wished) why TV remotes can't use radio waves rather than infrared, as the former travels better through bed sheets etc. Still, with the rise of the smartphone that will no doubt be the future.
              Probably cost and size. IR frequencies are pretty easy to get in and out of semiconductors e.g. diodes & photocells, and these components are cheap and small whereas suitable radio equipment is fairly bulky and even today much more expensive.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Probably cost and size. IR frequencies are pretty easy to get in and out of semiconductors e.g. diodes & photocells, and these components are cheap and small whereas suitable radio equipment is fairly bulky and even today much more expensive.
                I hate it when I have to lift my arm up, point the thing down and wiggle it around till I can change channels. it's so tiring

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I invented the remote control and designed a long pole with a piece of rubber on the end.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

thought this thread was about being with out your flash mac. (eternal optimist style)

Comment

Working...
                    X