• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online Shopping - the Backlash Begins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Shopping - the Backlash Begins

Problems with couriers, faulty goods having to be returned, dealing with unhelpful call centre staff - this is the catalogue of woes that has got me heading back to the high street.

The whole guaranteed next day delivery is a sham. They don't guarantee it but will refund your premium if they fail to deliver in the agreed time. Recently, I ordered something for my girlfriend's birthday & selected the express delivery option. It didn't come. Nor did it come the next day or the day after that. I could see from the tracking no. that it was sat in a warehouse in Reading and was going nowhere. So I rang the courier (Yodel) and found it was like banging one's head against a brick wall: "We'll try our best to get it out today but can't guarantee it"
    In the meantime, the missus's birthday is rapidly approaching and my nuts are on the line.

Then I ordered a toy for my nephew. It arrived promptly but didn't work. So, I rang Amazon who told me that the supplier was an affiliate & that I should contact them. Cue a round of one slopey shouldered party contradicting what the other was saying. Eventually they said I would have to box it up and return it, they'd refund me and that I would have to place a new order. Another lunchtime wasted in that snakey queue down the post office then

Seriously next time I want a TV or HiFi, I'd rather nip into Duck Son and Pinkers in Bath and pay 20 or 30 quid more than I'd pay online safe in the knowledge that, in the event of a problem, they'll be attentive as they value my custom. Contrast this with some spotty teenager in a call centre who couldn't give a toss if I write to Anne Robinson or not.

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    Problems with couriers, faulty goods having to be returned, dealing with unhelpful call centre staff - this is the catalogue of woes that has got me heading back to the high street.

The whole guaranteed next day delivery is a sham. Seriously next time I want a TV or HiFi, I'd rather nip into Duck Son and Pinkers in Bath and pay 20 or 30 quid more than I'd pay online safe in the knowledge that, in the event of a problem, they'll be attentive as they value my custom. Contrast this with some spotty teenager in a call centre who couldn't give a toss if I write to Anne Robinson or not.
    WHS
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

You must be pretty unlucky, I rarely have a problem and when something hasn't worked they have soon sorted it. You must have upset de lawd or something.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The whole guaranteed next day delivery is a sham. ...
        If you plan what you need and buy it well in advance, why would you care much if it is next day or next week?

My main bugbear, with Amazon for example, is that you can't specify a delivery date. So on saturday I often have to make a special visit to the post office with one of those red cards.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

About the next day delivery, often they say once the order has been processed. So you may order it on Monday but it won't be processed and dispatched till Wednesday. That one really winds me up
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

These problems are just limited to people who live in Guildford.

HTH

Comment

Is it possible to actually "live" in Guildford. Exist, sure, but "live"?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The whole guaranteed next day delivery is a sham. They don't guarantee it but will refund your premium if they fail to deliver in the agreed time. Recently, I ordered something for my girlfriend's birthday & selected the express delivery option. It didn't come. Nor did it come the next day or the day after that. I could see from the tracking no. that it was sat in a warehouse in Reading and was going nowhere. So I rang the courier (Yodel) and found it was like banging one's head against a brick wall: "We'll try our best to get it out today but can't guarantee it"
                In the meantime, the missus's birthday is rapidly approaching and my nuts are on the line.

Then I ordered a toy for my nephew. It arrived promptly but didn't work. So, I rang Amazon who told me that the supplier was an affiliate & that I should contact them. Cue a round of one slopey shouldered party contradicting what the other was saying. Eventually they said I would have to box it up and return it, they'd refund me and that I would have to place a new order. Another lunchtime wasted in that snakey queue down the post office then

Seriously next time I want a TV or HiFi, I'd rather nip into Duck Son and Pinkers in Bath and pay 20 or 30 quid more than I'd pay online safe in the knowledge that, in the event of a problem, they'll be attentive as they value my custom. Contrast this with some spotty teenager in a call centre who couldn't give a toss if I write to Anne Robinson or not.
                I never really got on with online buying apart from books.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Never had much of a problem with online shopping and I've done a lot over the years, in fact if I can buy it online and save myself a trip to the shops then I will.

I have got a big test of this perfect run coming up though - need to return a high value item to amazon after using it for a week as its not fit for purpose
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

If I didn't work from home I've no idea how many things we'd have to go and collect. Lots.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X