• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting asked for train ticket on platforms? A new thing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting asked for train ticket on platforms? A new thing?

Twice last week I got asked to show my train ticket to a random inspection officer, despite already have gone thorugh ticket gates and just standing on platform

Is this some new measure designed to take further rights away from normal people? The whole process was very confrontational. When asking why I was being singled out, they just said 'why not?'

any reason why these morons are not focusing on better train service (fixing those signalling problems) and bullying innocent bystanders now?

Why do you think a ticket inspector would be able to help fix the signals?

And how will you cope having your precious human rights dented by being asked to show your ticket. Maybe there's a support group for other people traumatised by this experience.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

well if you have got past the barriers then in effect you are on Railtrack owned land and a ticket is the only proof you have a legitmate reason to be there.

I recall that you used to be able to get platform tickets if you wanted to see of a relative from the platform rather than leave them at the barriers

so in other words - stop bitching

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
        Twice last week I got asked to show my train ticket to a random inspection officer, despite already have gone thorugh ticket gates and just standing on platform

Is this some new measure designed to take further rights away from normal people? The whole process was very confrontational. When asking why I was being singled out, they just said 'why not?'

any reason why these morons are not focusing on better train service (fixing those signalling problems) and bullying innocent bystanders now?
        You probably looked like a terrorist!

Be thankful that there are people out there doing that job and keeping our lives safe!

Every morning I give my baby boy a hug and say "Son, don't worry! There are people out there doing there damnest to keep us safe!".

Would you all like to join me in a prayer of thanks?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          You probably looked like a terrorist!

Be thankful that there are people out there doing that job and keeping our lives safe!

Every morning I give my baby boy a hug and say "Son, don't worry! There are people out there doing there damnest to keep us safe!".

Would you all like to join me in a prayer of thanks?

It probably works like airport security where they pick on ordinary looking people who they think won't chin them rather than anyone they actually suspect of fare dodging. I despair of this country sometimes we have become such a gang of compliant that you get reactions like "stop bitching" if you complain about something that is obvoiusly wank, stupid and over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post

I got asked at Paddington 2 weeks ago at the door of the first class carriage before I even got aboard
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

In the olden days, it was possible to get onto the platform using a platform ticket, get on the train, then get off at an unmanned station, or hop the tracks to an unmanned barrier.
              Once you were on the network, you could get virtually anywhere for free.
              allegedly - er...some bloke told me

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                In the olden days, it was possible to get onto the platform using a platform ticket, get on the train, then get off at an unmanned station, or hop the tracks to an unmanned barrier.

Awwww, it's the Littlest Hobo

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

That was in the days when carriages consisted of individual compartments with no corridor; the only way an inspector would be able to get through would be to climb round the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

It probably works like airport security where they pick on ordinary looking people who they think won't chin them rather than anyone they actually suspect of fare dodging. I despair of this country sometimes we have become such a gang of compliant that you get reactions like "stop bitching" if you complain about something that is obvoiusly wank, stupid and over the top.
                    Yeah it's just crazy that Ticket Inspectors are now asking to inspect your ticket.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X