• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: NHS computer network 'could cost £20 billion'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: NHS computer network 'could cost £20 billion'

NHS computer network 'could cost £20 billion'
    By Times Online and PA News

Doctors’ leaders expressed concern today after the Government that admitted its National Health Service IT programme is way behind schedule and over budget.

Lord Warner, the Health Minister overseeing the Government’s health service IT programme, said the full cost was likely to be nearer £20 billion than the widely quoted figure of £6.2 billion.

Plans to introduce an electronic medical record for every NHS patient in England are also at least two-and-a-half years behind schedule, he said.

His comments come after around half of GPs said in a survey that the new "choose and book" system for online booking was poor or fairly poor.

The IT programme involves four main projects: the online booking system; a centralised electronic medical records system for 50 million patients; e-prescriptions; and fast network links between NHS organisations.

Over the next 10 years, the programme - run by NHS Connecting for Health - is expected to link more than 30,000 GPs in England to almost 300 hospitals.

Lord Warner told the Financial Times that some parts of the programme "are going pretty well and pretty much to time", but that others "are going more slowly than we would otherwise like".

He said that the Government had had to "regroup" over the electronic record for patients, which is is meant to make patients’ data available wherever and whenever it is needed.

The delays mean the record may not be in place until early 2008 and are due partly to delays in providing the software, which is being developed by iSoft and other companies.

Dr Hamish Meldrum, chairman of the British Medical Association’s GPs Committee, said there were concerns that needed to be addressed before the scheme was rolled out across England.

He said: "Family doctors have been in the forefront of using modern technology but have been concerned that this national scheme for an electronic database of patient information is trying to do too much too quickly and could threaten patient confidentiality.

"GPs are anxious to see that the various concerns are addressed before the scheme is rolled out. The BMA’s GPs Committee position is that patients should be given the opportunity to provide an informed consent before their health record details are put on a national database. This is particularly important as there is so much uncertainty and a lack of public information at the moment."

Regarding the "choose and book" system for booking hospital appointments, Dr Meldrum added: "While the concept of being able to book their hospital appointments whilst in the GPs surgery is superficially attractive, there are a whole host of technical and practical problems that have to be addressed.

"So far, experience has been very patchy in terms of how well or badly the electronic booking system works."

-------------

£20 bln for NHS network?

£20bn and it still won't fecking work...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

£20,000,000,000 for 50,000,000 people is £400 each! why not give every person a Laptop and take it to the doctor to update.
      HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Well thats me sorted for the forseable future then
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I think I'll have to rephrase my previous comment on this. Forget the "are they handing out 24ct gold computers to everyone", honestly...£20 billion, you'd expect them to be installing 24ct solid gold network cables for that amount of money.

Sadly enough I'm not surprised given my, many a rant posted here, experience of it costing £30K for someone to double-click on an MSI.

My contempt though is not for the EDSs and Accentures of this world, it's for the complete incompetence of those who negotiate/authorise this sort of f**k-up in the first place .

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black

My contempt though is not for the EDSs and Accentures of this world, it's for the complete incompetence of those who negotiate/authorise this sort of f**k-up in the first place .
            And who might these incompetents be I wonder.....

Comment

That's a bit hard to tell DP, because all I see is a very, very, large black square, hole.

Comment

Working...
              X