• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HP to layoff 27k

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP to layoff 27k

BBC News - Hewlett-Packard to cut 27,000 jobs by the end of 2014

I listened to the analyst call last night and the mainstream media don't seem to have gone beyond what HP announced. There was an analyst from BMO who asked what it meant for the services business and they reluctantly admitted the net headcount would be less in 2 years time and more of it offshore. They did mention Mike Lynch is to go and are probably hoping for as many limeys as possible to go too.

Originally posted by BigTime View Post

I listened to the analyst call last night and the mainstream media don't seem to have gone beyond what HP announced. There was an analyst from BMO who asked what it meant for the services business and they reluctantly admitted the net headcount would be less in 2 years time and more of it offshore. They did mention Mike Lynch is to go and are probably hoping for as many limeys as possible to go too.
    HP and Dell have failed to move with the times, you see Dell announcing annually they are moving into X where X is the latest thing, (Cloud, PaaS, Tablets, Phones etc) but they never crack it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post

Too vague a statement to make any sense of it, I know the new person in charge wants to move away from PC Production so I imagine a large chuck of the 27k will come from them
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Too vague a statement to make any sense of it, I know the new person in charge wants to move away from PC Production so I imagine a large chuck of the 27k will come from them
        They are currently offering early retirement. Then it will be compulsory redundancy for some. Europe got a special mention as did the services business so ex-EDS stuff in the UK is for the hatchet in my view.

Comment

If Cloud does actually gain traction like many are predicting at the moment, will it not be companies like Dell and HP that will be affected ? They make a heck of a lot of money selling servers which will start slowing as more and more businesses start using the cloud rather than buying hardware.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            If Cloud does actually gain traction like many are predicting at the moment, will it not be companies like Dell and HP that will be affected ? They make a heck of a lot of money selling servers which will start slowing as more and more businesses start using the cloud rather than buying hardware.
            They'd very much prefer to get recurring revenues for those servers that they can oversubscribe.

Comment

Who do you think the like of Amazon buy the hardware to run AWS from? They will have to shift the focus to supplying these larger data centers
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Even the cloud needs servers.

Comment

Are you a Daily Mail reporter?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Even the cloud needs servers.
                    Virtual servers means less hardware overall.

Moving to the cloud is massive business. PaaS ,SaaS ,LaaS. HP has seen a slowdown and
                    will continue to do so. Seen some pretty impressive offerings so far. Blown away by new clientco's offering.

It's nice to back in the clouds. :-)
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X