• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Embarrassed by Project Requests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassed by Project Requests

This one of the things I dislike about contracting.

Having been in IT teams and run teams, my present contract has be at the bottom of the hierachy but highest paid and most experienced.

I was hired with 'Tell us where we're going wrong'.

So I have.

Given the following options for reporting requests these tend to be the options

a) Fudge it in 4 hours, do it manually with a template, but next week you will have to spend 4 hours on it again

b) Take 8 hours with some automation but will take 2 hours next week to do some stuff manually.

c)Take 2 days - do it properly - only take 2 hours per month dealing with it

d)Take 10 days - provide a simple back end DW covering this and the other 50 requests. No time spent.

Any guesses for which one they keep taking against my suggestions????????

F-cking amateurs!!!!!!>:

Yesterday I mentioned to my Team Leader that the hard disk on the PC I use for streaming video data to the baseband adapter was nearIy full.

He popped by my lab, handed me a new hard disk and said "There you go!".

FFS, I had to fit it myself!

Comment

So that I go home today happy in the knowledge that I have learnt/learned something new and worthwhile, what does "DW" stand for?

Digital Washstand
      Damaged Whistle
      Dolly Walker
      Deer Watcher
      Dressed Wrestler

Comment

Dirty Wankstain?

Comment

Data Warehouse - not to be confused with the sort of warehouse Arkwright is more famous for - a rented lockup full of cheap tat from SE Asia

Comment

Dodgy Wares!

Thanks Fiddle.

What's a Data Warehouse?

Comment

"What's a Data Warehouse? "

Its a large building full of pasty faced androids from Star Trek.

Comment

> Dodgy Wares!

Now why didn't I think of that

Comment

a) Fudge it in 4 hours, do it manually with a template, but next week you will have to spend 4 hours on it again
                  Think contractor, man, not shopkeeper. Recommend option a) and make it clear that no one in the company has the skills and experience to carry out that weekly 4 hour job other than you. You will offer to do it remotely from home for a £2k a month retainer.

Sorted.

Comment

Believe it or not. 6 month extension. Little more say in what is going on and I reckon contracting at this place for years to come.

Kerching, kerching, ching, ching, toot toot!

Comment

Working...
                    X