• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starlite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starlite

The New Scientist has brought up this old chestnut for some reason:

The power of cool: Whatever became of Starlite? - tech - 16 May 2012 - New Scientist
    or
    Starlite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The inventor has now died but allegedly left the secret with his family.

Odd that his family would want to keep it secret too if it has potential, and also odd that it appeared to work under unscientific testing. Some of you may even have seen it demonstrated on Tomorrow's World.

Real or hoax, you decide.
    For real
    50.00%
    Hoax
    25.00%
    AndyW keeps cool under all circumstances
    25.00%

Here's the Tomorrow's World clip, with really quiet audio for some reason.

Hard to see any hoax potential.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Here's the Tomorrow's World clip, with really quiet audio for some reason.

Hard to see any hoax potential.
      I remember it, and it was pretty amazing...

Comment

And Planet X is real acccording to yesterday's Mail. Yes, really. According to Brazilian scientists anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          I remember it, and it was pretty amazing...
          Yeah, me too. This would have pretty handy on the space shuttle. Shame it's still a family secret. A shame for humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Yeah, me too. This would have pretty handy on the space shuttle. Shame it's still a family secret. A shame for humanity.
            He wanted 51% of the profits which is probably why it wasn't ever taken up.

Comment

Hopefully the family aren't as paranoid as the dad, or hopefully more commercially astute.

Comment

In this article there is a picture of a piece of Starlite "A square of the heat-resistant plastic Starlite, complete with charring from nuclear testing", like get it the F out of my office.

Telegraph article 2009
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

kept an egg cold, even after five minutes under a blow torch ?

apparently he had his coffin made from the material.

took 21 days to cremate him

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    kept an egg cold, even after five minutes under a blow torch ?
                    The way the presenter put the "hot" side of the egg in the palm of his hand raised my suspicions.

It must be incredibly reflective stuff to do that.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X