• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could be sort of Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be sort of Boomed

Got telephone interview of a major IT consultancy on Monday, just been confirmed!!

Problem is, it's perm, with lots of UK travel. it's also a new dept with the company which always worries me.

Pros: Apparently the money i mentioned is very acceptable, it looks v good on the CV...

Not sure what to do, plus i have 3mths left on this contract, however they know i have 3mths notice, so i may have covered that one, but i expect to be extended and I do like this role which is based at home with little to no travel...
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Firstly congratulations

Its certainly a happy problem.

What is that worries you most? The permie? The travel? Or the new dept? Do you have any kids or a relationship that will suffer if you are away alot?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Firstly congratulations

Its certainly a happy problem.

What is that worries you most? The permie? The travel? Or the new dept? Do you have any kids or a relationship that will suffer if you are away alot?
      Honestly, its the travel. I'd love the new dept, but large companies do this regular and can close them quickly leaving me exposed. I can cope with. it's the going back to possibly being on the road loads especially as one of the main offices is in Portsmouth (can you guess who?).

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        one of the main offices is in Portsmouth (can you guess who?).
        Royal Navy?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Royal Navy?
          Nearly! But no...

Comment

Nearly! But no...
            Darn it

Forgot to say congrats!
            I have noticed that perm consultancy rates have been going up over the past 12 months. Possibly they've realised that they can pay (good) contractors the salary they expect and still make a healthy profit.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Honestly, its the travel. I'd love the new dept, but large companies do this regular and can close them quickly leaving me exposed. I can cope with. it's the going back to possibly being on the road loads especially as one of the main offices is in Portsmouth (can you guess who?).
              Personally when I used to travel I loved the glamour for the first few weeks. And the parties! Then it became seriously annoying. I longed for 'home'.

What advice do you want to hear?

Comment

Obviously, I will try and twist it to a contract role, but i doubt it! Using the calcs, i cant believe how much you lose as a perm...

Comment

Good luck!

one day at a time

Comment

main offices is in Portsmouth (can you guess who?).
                    BAE?
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X