• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Olympic torch meh!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic torch meh!

There seems to me to be a bit of a North South divide around this Olympic Torch parade nonsense.

All my shandy drinking, soft, Southern friends seem to be whipping themselves up into a frenzy with photos on Facebook and Twitter and taking their kids out of school for the day. Around here, nobody seems to give much of a toss.

Any Northern folk on here working up an appetite for it? I'm not even sure when it all starts. Suppose I'll watch the 100 metres final to play 'spot who has obviously been on it'.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

I am a soft shandy-drinking southerner and I fooking hate the olympics.

Why couldn't they have been held somewhere opp North where they don'y affect normal people?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I am a soft shandy-drinking southerner and I fooking hate the olympics.

Why couldn't they have been held somewhere opp North where they don'y affect normal people?
      Manchester tried that a few years ago and was snubbed by London
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Manchester tried that a few years ago and was snubbed by London
        Thats because we don't know where Manchester is. Presumably it is beyond Watford?

Plus the availability of Shandy is much reduced up there. And it does not even come with a pink umbrella!

Comment

It went through my hometown yesterday and most of my friends came out to see it as it was just about hometime when it came into town. If the weather was tulip then I doubt they would have bothered but it was a good excuse to have a party in the street.

I think the reception for the torch will be the same with the northern missing links as well

Comment

The torch part of the procession passes pretty quickly.

The police handled the traffic efficiently I thought, preventing vehicles from using the road only minutes before and afterwards. The crowds arrived first and much later the police, the first of which arrived on foot. Various cyclists, who I gather were plain clothes cops passed now, and then more police on motorbikes, various buses pass with people on top frantically waving their arms, more police and behind that a bus hiding the runners so that you can't see them until they are right on you. The you see a little girl running with a torch that doesn't look as if it's lit, flanked by other runners. That bit passes in a matter of seconds. Then it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              The torch part of the procession passes pretty quickly.

The police handled the traffic efficiently I thought, preventing vehicles from using the road only minutes before and afterwards. The crowds arrived first and much later the police, the first of which arrived on foot. Various cyclists, who I gather were plain clothes cops passed now, and then more police on motorbikes, various buses pass with people on top frantically waving their arms, more police and behind that a bus hiding the runners so that you can't see them until they are right on you. The you see a little girl running with a torch that doesn't look as if it's lit, flanked by other runners. That bit passes in a matter of seconds. Then it's over.

Just noticed the guy with the silly hat. How Olympic is that. The Olympics being just a feeble excuse to wear it in public?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                The look in that girl's eye is "if she had a baseball bat in her hands rather than the torch she might consider giving the copper a clout on his helmet".
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                X