• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nutty London Drivers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutty London Drivers

The other day, after dropping of the wife at her job, way home was blocked by a car upside down.

Can someone please explain to me how a car can be put on it's roof, when no other vehicle is in evidence and the posted speed limit was 30mph and no ramp either.

(also there is no road that leads from the point the car rested - bending the barriers back protecting the pavement ).

It's been puzzling me for the last couple of days. I'd have thought one would need to be doing around 60-70 with a ramp but without ramp!

Quite easy to turn a car onto its roof. On a straight road kerbs are good enough to do the job for you. With the application of a little trig and physics you can work out the leverage to be gained from a moving car clipping the kerb is enough to flip the car over, and you don't have to be going ever so fast to do it either.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I was once in a car that clipped a kerb at 60 mph and flipped over. Easily done.

Comment

Seems to be a London specific thing. So many cars end up on their roof its just not funny (the M25 and its approaches seem especially prone).

The other one that gets me are the trucks that magically catch fire!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
          Seems to be a London specific thing. So many cars end up on their roof its just not funny (the M25 and its approaches seem especially prone).

The other one that gets me are the trucks that magically catch fire!

Mailman
          reminds me of the weekend BBQ that leaves me to offer 1 piece of advice.

do NOT put firelighters and matches in the warmer under the grill
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I'm one of the drivers who likes to drive everywhere round the city on two wheels. I can understand how easy it is to get on your roof. Going to hammersmith this afternoon which should be amusing!
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
              The other day, after dropping of the wife at her job, way home was blocked by a car upside down.

Can someone please explain to me how a car can be put on it's roof, when no other vehicle is in evidence and the posted speed limit was 30mph and no ramp either.

(also there is no road that leads from the point the car rested - bending the barriers back protecting the pavement ).

It's been puzzling me for the last couple of days. I'd have thought one would need to be doing around 60-70 with a ramp but without ramp!
              Its quite easy to do that. All you need is a car without MOT, no insurance and an illegal emigrant with some Indian subcontinent driving licence.
              HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Working...
              X