• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed part 1 - The Spanish banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed part 1 - The Spanish banks

Spanish banks starting to collapse, this is the start of the end.

BBC News - Bankia shares suspended amid bailout request reports

Going to get bumpy me thinks. Spanish are already rioting over school funding cuts and the last money given to Bankia. This isn't going to be pretty...

Comment

It won't happen here. I mean, Spain's problems are due to a massive house price bubble, right?

Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Going to get bumpy me thinks. Spanish are already rioting over school funding cuts and the last money given to Bankia. This isn't going to be pretty...
        This will only increase the pace of the bank runs on struggling sovereigns. It will hit a point where the whole banking system will need to be bailed out...........AGAIN!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
          Spanish banks starting to collapse, this is the start of the end.

BBC News - Bankia shares suspended amid bailout request reports
          I have said for a long time that the Spanish bank were in deep sh1t, I just didn't know why it was taking so long for them to admit it. Or should I say forced to admit it.

It's so bad I think Santander might even go. They were ok, until they were forced to take over a couple of other banks.

Must close my Santander account.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            I have said for a long time that the Spanish bank were in deep sh1t, I just didn't know why it was taking so long for them to admit it. Or should I say forced to admit it.

It's so bad I think Santander might even go. They were ok, until they were forced to take over a couple of other banks.

Business account is with Alliance & Leicester (Santander)

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

As a small business you should be ok, protection in place.

Just that I am no longer in the UK, better to close the account soon, avoid the paperwork.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I got cold feet about them when they had flashy TV ads offering 6 odd per cent if you locked up your money for several years. It had a whiff of "too good to be true" about it when I compared it to what other banks were offereing.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

As a small business you should be ok, protection in place.

Just that I am no longer in the UK, better to close the account soon, avoid the paperwork.
                  Does the protection apply if you are non-resident?
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post

Mine's with Cater Allen (also Santander). Just keep the balance under £85k.

Comment

Working...
                    X