• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LED lights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED lights

I bought an LED light bulb for our stairwell, and noticed that it was glowing even when the switch is off. Current leakage, I though (or badly wired socket). So I took the bulb out - and it still glows for a couple of hours.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I bought an LED light bulb for our stairwell, and noticed that it was glowing even when the switch is off. Current leakage, I though (or badly wired socket). So I took the bulb out - and it still glows for a couple of hours.
    Perpetual light

Like perpetual motion

only lighter
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

It's the rapture! You must kill everyone in the house otherwise Satan will rise and destroy the world!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It can only be capacitance, or resistance or inductance - and it sure as tulip aint resistance. All you need to do is rule out which one of the other two it is.

HTH.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          It can only be capacitance, or resistance or inductance - and it sure as tulip aint resistance. All you need to do is rule out which one of the other two it is.

HTH.
          what about God & Magic eh?
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

HTH.

Resistance is futile.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Resistance is futile.
              I can just see George Ohm strutting about in heaven with that on a T-Shirt.

Comment

HTH.
                Discussed here

Probably for the same reason a neon lamp glows when it is connected to hot (and nothing else). LEDs respond to very low levels of current, the kind of current you might get when there is a slight capacitive coupling to earth (which is pretty much everywhere). Sometimes electronics isn't as straightforward as it seems.
                It is responding to radiated energy, possibly 60Hz, possibly RF from a local radio station (I'm betting line frequency). A capacitor will divert the energy around the LED.
                So this guy thinks it could be capacitance or inductance. I'd tip on inductance, and the possible RF could be anything, like your NAT router. Either way you are unlikely to figure out what it is, but strapping a 1mic cap across the beast in parallel will probly sort it out. Why not try it and write off to the vendor requesting a mod if it works

Comment

I had a fluorescent light in my bedroom as a teenager. That would glow after an evening's use if I touched it.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It can only be capacitance, or resistance or inductance ..
                    or memristance
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X