• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did Thatcher create the Chav underclass?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Thatcher create the Chav underclass?

Are most of our social problems due to the greed of the 80's, the Thatcher values of looking after your own and having your own social responsibility?

Perhaps Britain needs a lot more nannying and control of the people?

Benn0 says the crime, grime, deprivation and lack of values is due to Mrs T.

Did Mrs T invent the Chav?

Discuss. Extra marks will be awarded for being rude.

I'm merely pointing out that the chav underclass prevalent in society today grew up under the parentage of citizens under her rule.

You are all quite happy to claim that without her Britain would now be a third world country.

In that case she must also take some of the blame for the less desirable aspects of the country in which we now live.

Comment

Most of the social problems in Britain are a result of incorrect drug self administration, namely alcohol.

The way forward is for the Government to ban alcohol and in its place make freely available copious amounts of LSD and Peyote thus ensuring a state of blissful peace and love and it would be safe to walk the streets.

You've heard of Ali-Baba
      Forty thieves, had he
      Out for what we all want
      Lots of L.S.D.

He also had a camel
      Stole it from a zoo
      How he loved the camel
      And the camel loved him, too
      (Oh, how the camel loved Ali-Baba)

Ali-Baba's camel
      Loved Ali-Baba so
      No matter where he went to
      The camel had to go

Some say that he's in Heaven
      But this, I know is true
      Wherever you think Ali's gone
      His camel's gone there, too

Comment

We have always had a chav underclass, it isn't a Labour or Tory thing.

It's only the name "chav" that is new. When I was young they were "yobs", "skinheads", or simply "common".

There was antisocial behaviour and violence in those days too, with gangs of yobs up to their mischief, and skinheads looking out for a bit of "aggro".

Comment

Well I remember the word 'chav' being used, actually as a self description, in a Doncaster corner-minimarket when Thatcher was on the throne. I remember it quite clearly as I decided to seek out which type of hoodlum they were as they were scruffy, had dogs that followed them about and didn't fit with my sterotypes of being metal heads or goths or punks or skins or whatever.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Personally I blame the welfare state. It has helped to create a class that is totally dependent on benefits, everything on a plate with no social responsibility whatsoever. Thatcherism tried to counter this by encouraging people to their council homes, but the benefit culture was already enshrined in the lives of what became the chav. Lazy, uneducated, undisciplined, and basically untouchable. So there you have it Benno, it was actually your lot wot done it.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I think the Chav, the Wayne & Waynetta / Vicky Pollard types is post 80's Thatcher. Definately a 90's phenomena. Mostly driven by handout welfare state, falling discipline and education stds, all symptoms of Blairite policies.

Sorry Benn0, Chav is a Labour invention, created within the last NINE years.

Cool Brittania and all that.

Comment

I think in Gles-ga they are called "neds".

Comment

I think the Thatch can be blamed for the "me me me" attitude displayed by modern society. It was an unforseen spin off of her policy designed to make people more self reliant.
                  I dont think she can be blamed for the "**** You" part of the Chav mentality though.
                  It has been the growth of the welfare state that has generated this. The rights with no responsibilities regime that now prevails.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The chav mentality is:

It's not my fault.
                    The state owes me.
                    You can't touch me.
                    I know my rights.
                    I ain't working, where's my benefits cheque?
                    Why should I care?
                    Why can't I have a nice car/house/holiday?
                    The government should do more.
                    It's not "fair"

All Labour mentatility & policy -

Welfare,
                    Human Rights,
                    Blame the Middle Classes
                    Politics of Envy

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X