• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cabinet Rich List

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabinet Rich List

"Top 10 richest Cabinet ministers

Name Worth (£million) Source of wealth

Lord Strathclyde 9.6 Inherited Wealth, stake in family's estate management company, Auchendrane Estates. Also private directorships.

Philip Hammond 8.2 Stake in healthcare and nursing home developer Castlemead; consultancy work

William Hague 4.8 Income from public speaking, two books, a newspaper column and various business advisory roles

Jeremy Hunt 4.8 Stake in Hotcourses, a publisher of guides and websites for educational courses, which he co-founded

Caroline Spelman 4.5 Wealth figures primarily reflect the value of properties owned by Spelman and husband, a Senior Partner at Accenture

George Osborne 4.5 Property (inherited); stake in family-owned fabric and wallpaper designer Osborne & Little (inherited)

David Cameron 3.8 Property, most likely funded from parents/inheritance

Francis Maude 3.2 Work as managing director at morgan stanley and various directorships

Dominic Grieve 2.9 Private investment, funded by salaries as barrister and QC

Andrew Mitchell 2.2 Former investment banker, owns a number of homes, contributing to most of his wealth. "

Source: Exclusive: Cabinet is worth £70million - Telegraph

Lot's of inherited wealth then

Originally posted by AtW View Post

So if you eventually have kids & SKA takes off, you'd prefer the government or a charity to have everything when you die rather than your family?

Commie
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      So if you eventually have kids & SKA takes off, you'd prefer the government or a charity to have everything when you die rather than your family?
      The point is that those guys there did not earn the money themselves, if so why the heck they are running the country?

They had inherited wealth, good education and most certainly contacts from the family and yet they could not have become successful businessmen?

Last edited by AtW; 28 May 2012, 12:25.

Comment

The point is that those guys there did not earn the money themselves, if so why the heck they are running the country?
        Point?

one day at a time

Comment

Name Worth (£million) Source of wealth

Lord Strathclyde 9.6 Inherited Wealth, stake in family's estate management company, Auchendrane Estates. Also private directorships.

Philip Hammond 8.2 Stake in healthcare and nursing home developer Castlemead; consultancy work

William Hague 4.8 Income from public speaking, two books, a newspaper column and various business advisory roles

Jeremy Hunt 4.8 Stake in Hotcourses, a publisher of guides and websites for educational courses, which he co-founded

Caroline Spelman 4.5 Wealth figures primarily reflect the value of properties owned by Spelman and husband, a Senior Partner at Accenture

George Osborne 4.5 Property (inherited); stake in family-owned fabric and wallpaper designer Osborne & Little (inherited)

David Cameron 3.8 Property, most likely funded from parents/inheritance

Francis Maude 3.2 Work as managing director at morgan stanley and various directorships

Dominic Grieve 2.9 Private investment, funded by salaries as barrister and QC

Andrew Mitchell 2.2 Former investment banker, owns a number of homes, contributing to most of his wealth. "

Source: Exclusive: Cabinet is worth £70million - Telegraph

I count 3 from 10 - does that count as "lot's of inherited wealth"?

Obviously the point is (to me) that what makes you angry is the presence of inherited wealth in the highest positions of power. Fair enough.
          Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post

Obviously the point is (to me) that what makes you angry is the presence of inherited wealth in the highest positions of power. Fair enough.
            Who gives a tulip. After all, someone voted for these fooks.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
              Both PM and Chancellor allegedly got lots of inherited wealth.

Those are the key positions - inheritance is unearned income, personally I am against taxation of it btw, but people who run the country should know how to earn money and what's involved in it - especially the Chancellor.

Comment

Hardly mega-rich, a few £mil each. If you inherit then that's your good fortune (pun not intended). Life's not fair.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Atw is just bitter cos all he inherited from dad was a squint and dandruff and from his mother was a moustache.

Comment

Both PM and Chancellor allegedly got lots of inherited wealth.

Those are the key positions - inheritance is unearned income, personally I am against taxation of it btw, but people who run the country should know how to earn money and what's involved in it - especially the Chancellor.
                    Again, I agree with the sentiment that real world experience in making money should be a pre-requisite for Chancellor. Not sure if I agree that inherited wealth implies a lack of knowledge in regards to this. Prejudicial (& weak) thinking imho. Perhaps they were taught about money by their parents who made it from scratch.

Also there is quite a difference between earning money and making money, I would have thought a business owner like yourself would understand. Would you prefer someone who understood the way to "earn" money was to work for the government? Or that the way to "make" money is to create, build and invest in assets (preferably businesses) which earn the money for you? Or just print it, that seems to work
                    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X