• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Osborne reverses controversial 'pasty tax' as long as takeaway food is cooling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osborne reverses controversial 'pasty tax' as long as takeaway food is cooling

The hated ‘pasty tax’ is to be reversed, George Osborne is to announce.

The Chancellor will write to MPs on the Treasury select committee to reveal that as long as hot takeaway food is cooling naturally, it will not be subject to VAT, as planned.

It means pasties, and other hot snacks that are not served straight from the oven and are allowed to cool down in a glass cabinet will continue to be tax-free.

The Chancellor will also announce a retreat on another controversial measure in his badly received March Budget - a proposal to levy VAT at 20 per cent on static holiday caravans.

Instead, they will be subject to just five per cent VAT.

Both VAT rises prompted uproar among Tory MPs in the regions -- with particular anger in the South West at the pasty tax and in the North over the caravan levy.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-cooling.html

I'm hoping for a celebratory discount at my local Greggs tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      It means pasties, and other hot snacks that are not served straight from the oven and are allowed to cool down in a glass cabinet will continue to be tax-free.
      Phew!!! Fank thuck for that. I thought this country was going to the dogs. Mr Osborne has just restored all faith.

Hooo-rahhhh!!!!
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

There goes the collective cuk waistline
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Great news!! Now my kids can happily continue on their way to becoming super morbidly obese.

Comment

Brilliant one Ozzie. now if he just removes the tax on whippets and flat caps, we can have a street party

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The country has gone to the dogs. Pasties are the no. 1 priority?

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                Great news!! Now my kids can happily continue on their way to becoming super morbidly obese.
                If only they had a parent to teach them not to.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  So anything in a hot glass cabinet is still subject to VAT?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Reduce VAT rate and put VAT on everything. Simplify and harmonise all taxes. Idiotic ****tard govt.

Comment

Working...
                    X