• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back seat drivers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back seat drivers

BBC News - Volvo's self-drive 'convoy' hits the Spanish motorway

Would you trust someone to drive you down the motorway if they were in a different car?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

If it's tested properly then I'm fine with it. Seems to be on it's way in around the world in various guises.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Possibly, if I was able to take control if conditions looked out of the ordinary. Not sure I could sleep, but I might manage a more relaxed state. Then again I'd have trouble sleeping on a Spanish bus when it's driven about a foot behind cars in front, like the last one I went on.

Comment

The days of automation you can't disengage are much further away.

Although I'd not be at all surprised if 99% of automation-related accidents are due to users going to manual and then driving straight into the car in front/behind.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The vehicles drove at 85kph (52mph) with the gap between each vehicle just 6m (19ft).
          Pfffft! I can drive 3 feet behind the car in front at 80mph. Can't the powers-that-be come up with something worthwhile?

DM Reader.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            The days of automation you can't disengage are much further away.

Although I'd not be at all surprised if 99% of automation-related accidents are due to users going to manual and then driving straight into the car in front/behind.
            The cars behind [a human controlled automated car] would only have to be able to brake as normal and the car in front would only be hit due to a human mistake; either accelerating excessively for no good reason or not braking fast enough for some error possibly related to his taking control in the first place. That human might then become the new lead vehicle of the remaining cars who will then relentlessly pursue him, possibly in some suicidal error mode

Comment

Working...
            X