• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more Sunday Times

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more Sunday Times

Been saying this for ages but that's it. I'm not buying it any Santos.

First ting that happens when I sit down and open the plastic .bag cintaing the supplements us that I get deluged in unwanted publicity. I then have to get up out of my chair and gather up all the crap that has floated to all 4 corners of the room and stick it in the bin.

Then there's the content. It's a load of neo liberal claptrap. It used to be a conservative rag but now it runs stuff from the likes of Simon Jenkins, Dominic Lawson and India Knight.

AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SECTIONS THAT I DON'T READ!

The only things I buy it for are Rod Middle, Jeremy Clarkson (though he's losing his Nikon) and Winners Dinners.

Just don't think its worth it any more.

I haven't bought any opinionpaper for 5 years. Not even to wipe my arse with.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
      WHS

There are better things to do with that time and easier/cheaper ways of staying abreast of current events.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
        First ting that happens when I sit down and open the plastic .bag cintaing the supplements us that I get deluged in unwanted publicity. I then have to get up out of my chair and gather up all the crap that has floated to all 4 corners of the room and stick it in the bin.

<SNIP>

The only things I buy it for are Rod Middle, Jeremy Clarkson (though he's losing his Nikon) and Winners Dinners.
        You need to give your butler a serious talking to.

He should be preparing the paper for you so you only get the parts that you are interested in.

Comment

I got it last week funnily enough, first time in years, for the sudukio fiendish.

I found the best thing about it was the plastic wrapping it came in, because I was looking for something to stuff all the bits in, so I could bin them, and that bag was a perfect fit

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I haven't bought it for about 10 years.

In the eighties it provided a good summary of the week's news for those of us too busy during the week, had decent science articles etc.

I just got bored with it in the end.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
              Yep, that's why I gave it up years ago. You throw away 80% of the paper, which 80% depends on your interests.

In the end I found I was only reading Dear Deirdre and ogling Page 3

(on hang on, or was NOTW that I stopped reading? It was a Murdoch rag anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                I got it last week funnily enough, first time in years, for the sudukio fiendish.
                How much does it cost nowadays?
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  How much does it cost nowadays?
                  £1.50 iirc
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    WHS - Only pensioners buy the sunday papers these days

(or the saturday ones, or the any day of the week ones come to that)
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X