• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sony viao z series laptop not honouring warranty on faulty screen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sony viao z series laptop not honouring warranty on faulty screen

I bought a 2k laptop back in Nov 2011 from Sony it was a top end Z21 series. In Feb 2012 I had it sent back as the screen developed black and white spots and i was repaired and returned promptly. NOW in May I got a more severe problem with the display with red and black pixel blobs on the screen developing. I sent it back to Sony repair and they sent me a bill for around 350 quid to have the screen replaced stating that it was external pressure that caused the damage. I contested this and Sony just sent me three photos of the laptop screen markings one of which showed newly developed markings which werent there on the night before the Sony UPS courier picked up the laptop from me for repair (and I can prove this as I have a video of the laptop screen the night before sending it off with date and time stamp from Virgin Media TV which you cannot change). I CANNOT believe Sony trying to worm their way out of this. are warranties just worthless? Any advice anyone? I always put a cloth on the keyboard when closing the lid and used the viao anti shock carry case when transporting the laptop as advised in the manual.
    Last edited by sbakoola; 30 May 2012, 10:54.

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    I CANNOT believe Sony trying to worm their way out of this are warranties just worthless?
    I can't believe that you can't believe it! SOP these days.

Write to a newspaper finance problem page or to trading standards, get a refund from your credit card company, etc.

Comment

this is why it's worthwhile buying from a vendor who offer an onsite no quibble warranty
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        this is why it's worthwhile buying from a vendor who offer an onsite no quibble warranty
        I bought it from Sony online UK. I dont think I had any other option as their product is configurable at point of sale. THE damn thing got worse just when UPS transported it back to Sony

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
          I bought it from Sony online UK. I dont think I had any other option as their product is configurable at point of sale. THE damn thing got worse just when UPS transported it back to Sony
          Sorry, I meant someone other than Sony e.g. Lenovo
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Sorry, I meant someone other than Sony e.g. Lenovo
            Well Sony Repair replied back and they replied with screen shots of further damage created when the laptop was not in my possession i.e. it was at the Sony Repair centre or with the Sony Courier. I got video proof of how the screen was hours before the Courier came to pick it up (and I can prove the time/date). Basically they are trying it on trying to blame me for the damage and its really ticked me off. So if they won't repair it for free I've asked for their repair engineer to give me in writing a detailed explanation of which screen components are damaged and what he thinks caused it so as to be out of the warranty clauses (even for the area of damage caused whilst the laptop was entirely in their possession ... ....

To boot it was a Bob on the phone to me this morning who could barely speak English....

I may consider going to the courts for this just to see how the system works (I've often wondered and can bare the cost of it) and if I get a full refund I may get a Lenovo or an Alienware or possibly an Acer.. (dunno about them though). We'll see what transpires ...
            Last edited by sbakoola; 30 May 2012, 21:59.

Comment

Don't buy Sony - they used to be great brand in 90s but now Samsung is what Sony used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Don't buy Sony - they used to be great brand in 90s but now Samsung is what Sony used to be.
                I very much agree with you, I got a Samsung Android tablet, its tough as nails and has never let me down. I almost bought a Samsung laptop instead of the Sony Vaio but the Samsung didn't do solid state drives and have a 3G sim card slot back then... so ...

Anyhow I'll see how it goes with Sony Vaio. Not impressed so far how they've tried to worm their way out of replacing the faulty screen.

Comment

Take them to small claims court.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Take them to small claims court.
                    Yes small claims court is for items under £5K which this item certainly qualifies for. I actually bought the item using my Limited Company, can you take them to smalls claims court as an item purchased as a business. ??????????????????????

The thing is this is the 2nd time now that I've had a problem with the screen (and it was sent for Repair at Sony back in Feb 2012) and the laptop was bought in Nov 2011.

I'm dreading having to deal with some foreign call centre bod today whose spoken English is not the best; sometimes I think that they present you with these characters just so you will submit with frustration.

Comment

Working...
                    X