• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupidly short-term contract - how much to charge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupidly short-term contract - how much to charge?

Client has approached me on LinkedIn.

No-one seems to know the product, and I last touched it about seven years ago - it was desupported four or five years ago.

Client wants ten hours of remote access / contact / advice - not sure that I have a clue what they hope to accomplish in that time. They are based half-way round the world from here, so timing could be difficult.

So, given that I seem to be the only person in the world who has the product on their CV - how much should I charge?

Poll to follow.
    Do it for free because you're such a nice guy
    0.00%
    £10 an hour
    3.70%
    £20 an hour
    0.00%
    £30 an hour
    3.70%
    £40 an hour
    0.00%
    £50 an hour
    0.00%
    £60 an hour
    0.00%
    £70 an hour
    3.70%
    £80 an hour
    7.41%
    £90 an hour
    3.70%
    £100 an hour
    18.52%
    More than £100 an hour
    40.74%
    Stupid money and get AndyW as a sub
    18.52%
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 30 May 2012, 21:30.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

1) How often do you work for this client?

2) What is your usual hourly rate?

If long-term client who give me lots of regular work then it would be regular rates. If it needing doing overnight I would put a 50% premium on it.

If it was a client who I hadn't spoken to for seven years then it would probably be double the usual rate. I wouldn't do more than that personally. I am a nice guy but I still wouldn't ever do more than an hour or so free - even that amount of time makes me think I am more of a mug than a nice guy

Comment

£1 mln + VAT.

That's the only way to be sure.

Comment

I'd say usual rate +50% if you're happy to do the job, +100% if you CBA.

Comment

I would charge full consultancy rates of around £1,200 for the day, and then for further work reduce this in line with factors such as duration, effort, normal rates etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            I would charge full consultancy rates of around £1,200 for the day, and then for further work reduce this in line with factors such as duration, effort, normal rates etc.
            WHS

Comment

I would be tempted to offer them £150 - £200 per hour, in block of 2 hours at a time. or £200 - £300 in block of an hour at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

So, given that I seem to be the only person in the world who has the product on their CV - how much should I charge?
                Fill yer boots.
                HTH

one day at a time

Comment

So, what product is that?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If I am benched and its a niche skill I would probably do it for a nominal fee as a nice little refresher, which could lead onto regular work if you say its bigger than the time they guestimated
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X