• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to peel a grapefruit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to peel a grapefruit

I've started earning grapefruit for breakfast.

Now, I j.ow the traditional way to eat grapefruit is to slice it in half and scoop the flesh out with a teaspoon (I actually have a proper grapefruit spoon - like a teaspoon but with a serrated edge). But I want to peel mine and break it up into segments to mix with Jordans Crunchie.

The problem is removing the pith. Is there a trick I'm missing.g here? Perhaps it's like most supermarket fruit and not ripe enough (cf. my brown banana thread).
    Last edited by pacharan; 31 May 2012, 13:46.

Are you taking the pith with that post? Even by your low standards!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Are you taking the pith with that post? Even by your low standards!
      Sorry. I'm sure you'll find that my showjumping thread has raised the bar back to the standards you expect of me.

Comment

one day at a time

Comment

I cut through the peel only with a knife into 8 segments (that's four circular cuts just enough to get to the actual fruit itself, then peel off each segment one at a time. Most of the pith comes with it when you peel the skin off and the bits that don't you can usually peel down from the top or bottom. You can then break the peeled grapefruit up into segments.

Alternatively you may think I sound like Wilmslow or have too much time on my hands.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            I cut through the peel only with a knife into 8 segments (that's four circular cuts just enough to get to the actual fruit itself, then peel off each segment one at a time. Most of the pith comes with it when you peel the skin off and the bits that don't you can usually peel down from the top or bottom. You can then break the peeled grapefruit up into segments.
            That's exactly what I do.

Still have the pith problem though.

I buy my grapefruit for the week on Monday and they seem to get easier to peel as the week goes on. Something to do with them ripening / losing their hardness perhaps?

Comment

You need to get a Grapefruit knife. Doesn't everybody have one of these?
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Grapefruits are easy compared to grapes. What's the best way of peeling grapes?

Lettuce is a biatch too.

Comment

Working...
                X