• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drivers punished for going green

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers punished for going green

"The Daily Telegraph has learnt that government officials have begun private discussions with the motoring industry and drivers’ groups about an overhaul of the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rules.

The talks come as ministers try to prevent a fall in tax revenues as more motorists choose smaller, cleaner cars that incur a lower rate of duty. Labour has accused the Coalition of planning a “stealth tax” on drivers, effectively punishing them for going green.

Ministers say that while they have not finalised their plans, changes may be necessary to ensure the “sustainability of the public finances”.

One option being considered would replace the annual tax on cars with a one-off up-front charge on new vehicles when they are sold.

Chloe Smith, a Treasury minister, told the Commons last week that ministers are “considering whether Vehicle Excise Duty should be reformed to support the sustainability of public finances and to reflect the improvements in vehicle fuel efficiency”. As part of that process, motoring groups and other interested parties have been invited into the Treasury to discuss potential changes to VED.

One source involved in the discussions said ministers have made it clear that the consultation will lead to higher tax rates on some motorists.

“Revenues are under threat and it’s pretty clear that the Treasury needs to do something to increase its tax take or face losing a lot of money,” the source said.

Annual road tax for cars ranges from zero for those with the lowest CO2 emissions — which include electric and hybrid cars — to more than £200 for those with larger and less efficient petrol and diesel engines.

VED raises almost £6 billion a year for the Treasury, but official forecasts show that the revenue from the tax will fall as more people chose to drive low-emission cars.

Road tax rules give drivers a financial incentive to choose low-emission vehicles, as cleaner cars qualify for lower rates of VED.

Low-emission models like the Toyota Prius or the Nissan Leaf attract a zero rate of VED.

Cars in Band E face a £135 charge, and include some models of the VW Passat and the Nissan Juke.

Band H cars cost £275 in their first year and £195 a year afterwards. They include some models of the VW Golf and the Ford Focus. "

Source: Drivers punished for going green - Telegraph

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Back to driving on bald tyres in proper 10 year test mode.
    3 points each corner not worth it

Comment

Then again:

No MOT required for pre 1960 motors ‹ Drive Start

Hurrah!

I'd have thought pre-1960 cars were the most in need of MOTs, although presumably most are lovingly maintained

But maybe their workings are so primitive and unfamiliar compared with today's cars and MOT check list that it wouldn't be practical
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        "The Daily Telegraph has learnt that government officials have begun private discussions with the motoring industry and drivers’ groups about an overhaul of the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rules.

The talks come as ministers try to prevent a fall in tax revenues as more motorists choose smaller, cleaner cars that incur a lower rate of duty. Labour has accused the Coalition of planning a “stealth tax” on drivers, effectively punishing them for going green.

Ministers say that while they have not finalised their plans, changes may be necessary to ensure the “sustainability of the public finances”.

One option being considered would replace the annual tax on cars with a one-off up-front charge on new vehicles when they are sold.

Chloe Smith, a Treasury minister, told the Commons last week that ministers are “considering whether Vehicle Excise Duty should be reformed to support the sustainability of public finances and to reflect the improvements in vehicle fuel efficiency”. As part of that process, motoring groups and other interested parties have been invited into the Treasury to discuss potential changes to VED.

One source involved in the discussions said ministers have made it clear that the consultation will lead to higher tax rates on some motorists.

“Revenues are under threat and it’s pretty clear that the Treasury needs to do something to increase its tax take or face losing a lot of money,” the source said.

Annual road tax for cars ranges from zero for those with the lowest CO2 emissions — which include electric and hybrid cars — to more than £200 for those with larger and less efficient petrol and diesel engines.

VED raises almost £6 billion a year for the Treasury, but official forecasts show that the revenue from the tax will fall as more people chose to drive low-emission cars.

Road tax rules give drivers a financial incentive to choose low-emission vehicles, as cleaner cars qualify for lower rates of VED.

Low-emission models like the Toyota Prius or the Nissan Leaf attract a zero rate of VED.

Cars in Band E face a £135 charge, and include some models of the VW Passat and the Nissan Juke.

Band H cars cost £275 in their first year and £195 a year afterwards. They include some models of the VW Golf and the Ford Focus. "

Source: Drivers punished for going green - Telegraph

Anyone who drives a Prius should be run over let alone taxed more
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Then again:

No MOT required for pre 1960 motors ‹ Drive Start

Hurrah!

They are making the usual townie assumption that anyone with such an old car has the brass to keep it in mint condtition.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I'd have thought pre-1960 cars were the most in need of MOTs, although presumably most are lovingly maintained

But maybe their workings are so primitive and unfamiliar compared with today's cars and MOT check list that it wouldn't be practical
            I kept a spare carburettor for MOTs for my 1973 Land Rover, just to get it through the MOT's emission test.

The motor ran like crap with that carb, farting, stalling and no power, so the old one went back on as soon as I got the certificate
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Most are probably driven less than 5000 miles per year. Makes sense really. I think one year I drove my 1972 500 miles yet still had to do another MOT. which doesn't. The more a vehicle is driven, surely the more often it should be maintained and thus checked.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Anyone who drives a Prius should be run over let alone taxed more
                I saw a Prius taxi the other day and vowed that if he turned up outside of the pub to take me home I would go back in and continue drinking until the first bus came (or walk)
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I saw a Prius taxi the other day and vowed that if he turned up outside of the pub to take me home I would go back in and continue drinking until the first bus came (or walk)
                  Damn right too.

Although I am not prejudiced against the Prius. If ANY taxi turned up I would go back in and continue drinking until the first bus came

Cheers

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Looks like I picked a bad week to choose next car with V8 engine...

Comment

Working...
                    X