• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there ant such thing as 'computer glasses'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there ant such thing as 'computer glasses'?

Hi, I've just bumped into this:
    http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/c153c049cbad1d52#

I didn't know there was such a thing as computer glasses. My vision is deteriorating and to be honest I don't trust the high street opticians' advices as they are only motivated by marketing. Has anybody ever been prescribed 'computer glasses'?
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

The general idea is to get your infinity, where your eyes don't need to accommodate (focus), at say 1m. Which for normally sighted people would be a -1 D prescription. For older people a prescription of some kind to focus under 1m without strain would be almost universally a necessity, but I think it would also be good thing for young people to do this, as I firmly believe in the link between myopia and close work.

Comment

Glasses are 99p at The 99p Store. Anyone who spends more, like £1 at The Pound Shop is an idiot.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I specifically asked for VDU glasses, ey gave me a prescription for glasses for computer use and my company paid for the glasses

If Hector complains they can jog on
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          I specifically asked for VDU glasses, ey gave me a prescription for glasses for computer use and my company paid for the glasses

You mean "Optical accessories for company computer"
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
            Hi, I've just bumped into this:
            What are possible adjustments for &#39;computer glasses&#39; at high myopia levels? - sci.med.vision | Google Groups

I didn't know there was such a thing as computer glasses. My vision is deteriorating and to be honest I don't trust the high street opticians' advices as they are only motivated by marketing. Has anybody ever been prescribed 'computer glasses'?
            Yes I use them. They also have a different focal point to my reading glasses.
            Make sure you give accurate distance eyes to screen when being prescribed, as 6" can make a hell of a difference (yes I know some of you often dream of 6 inches).
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Thanks for your answers. So 'vdu' seems to be the magic keyword. I'll speak to my optician soon. Pity my optician is bit of a twit...
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

It's quite specifically an acceptable expense.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's called an intermediate prescription. Typically halfway between your distance and near vision prescriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Glasses are 99p at The 99p Store. Anyone who spends more, like £1 at The Pound Shop is an idiot.
                    I spent £400 for a pair of gig lamps for reading, and I just know I'll sit on them sooner or later

To the OP - Get your eyes measured, and retinas checked out, at a professional optometrist. They're obliged to give you your measurements, although obviously they would prefer you to buy an expensive pair of specs. They'll probably also recommend you buy a pair of varifocals, optimised to look at a PC screen and look down to read something on a desk.

For the £400 I paid I have a nice pair with a titanium frame, although for that price they should have non-scratch sapphire lenses

I find the 1.5's on sale for £10 in Sainsburys are fine for PC work.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X