• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance - How much???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance - How much???

Wife's car insurance is due later this month. She's been driving 18mths, is 34 yrs old, no claims, but no NCB (was named on a policy in my name has i had company car at the time!). Drives a fiesta 1.2 shed worth about £800, less than 4k miles per year. Quotes for her: £1100+ It's a micky take and no wonder there are loads of uninsured drivers about!!!

I drive a semi-hot hatch (boy racer car, but top end diesel) valued at £24k, 35yrs old, 15-20k miles per year, business use, 5 years no claims, clean license: my quotes £650 (unless i put her on it, then it jumps to £1200... ).

Just doesnt make sense how they make their prices up...
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

in fact, just done a 3rd party only quote for her and it goes UP to a minimum of £1850... WTF?????
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Admiral multicar, I have 3 cars on a multicar policy and one is driven by my 19 year old son and the policy for his car is now in his name and it took his premium from £1400 (named Driver on my policy) to £700, never claimed so not sure what their like from that respect but cheaper than all the other quotes i had

Comment

Phone around, thats faintly ridiculous.

Telling the other insurance companies that you've received a quote for £600 isn't illegal...

Comment

what exactly is a "boy racer car, top end diesel"? I'm struggling to think what it could be.

1st thought was a Peugot 205 Diesel but then that doesn't match the price
          Diesel Golf? Focus?

BMW 5 series diesel would match all but the boy racer bit as not many boys can afford a 5 series

do tell..
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Be careful with the ‘auto-renewals’. I used to be the type who didn’t check as it hardly varied much. Maybe it’s something they are trying on, as this year they quoted around £700 from £400 and I shopped around and got something for £350 ish.

HTH

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              Admiral multicar, I have 3 cars on a multicar policy and one is driven by my 19 year old son and the policy for his car is now in his name and it took his premium from £1400 (named Driver on my policy) to £700, never claimed so not sure what their like from that respect but cheaper than all the other quotes i had
              Interesting as my 19 year old son has had his own policy for nearly 2 years. Will get him to check around before he goes for the easy renewal.

He gives me money each pay day so that he is ready for insurance, tax and servicing. We have budgeted this year for £1625 with 2 yrs NCB.

Be nice if we can get it down to £700. Is that for TPFT cover?
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Well for a start having no NCB means she loses up to 65% and bearing in mind the stats of people that have accidents within the first 2 years of driving I would say that is pretty par for the course.

What on earth do you think they were going to give her for NCB. Take the NCB off and requote yours.

Values of car mean f all nowadays as well and 3rd party is more hassle for the insurers hence them not being priced cheaper as you would expect. The majority of your premium goes towards the costs being claimed against you in an accident. Her car might be worth 800 or worth 50K, they don't care. It is peanuts compared to the personal injury claims the 3rd party will make against you. Remember you can do the same damage to someone elses 80K car in an 800 fiesta or 24k Beemer.

Need to think about it a little better IMO.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 1 June 2012, 10:53.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Interesting as my 19 year old son has had his own policy for nearly 2 years. Will get him to check around before he goes for the easy renewal.

He gives me money each pay day so that he is ready for insurance, tax and servicing. We have budgeted this year for £1625 with 2 yrs NCB.

Be nice if we can get it down to £700. Is that for TPFT cover?
                  19 year old lad less than £700???.. Good luck with that!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    19 year old lad less than £700???.. Good luck with that!!
                    I had him as a named driver on my policy "yes i know its fronting but thats the way it is" and the policy was £1400 or £3000 on his own policy, when my policy came up for renewal i renewed both my cars with Admiral, then his came up for renewal a couple of months later so i called them up expecting them to laugh at me and asked them to quote for his car with him as the main driver on the car and they came back with £700, the excess is £500 on a 2 grand car

Thats fully comp, TPFT as been more expensive on every quote i have had

Comment

Working...
                    X