• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calls over 'abused' government credit cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calls over 'abused' government credit cards

BBC News - Calls over 'abused' government credit cards

A Public Accounts Committee report uncovered 99 cases of "inappropriate use" in Whitehall over the past three years, and said rules differed significantly between departments.

Some staff, it found, had used cards to pay for doughnuts, luxury hotel rooms and online iTunes purchases.
    In November, the Cabinet Office set out guidelines on minimum standards for the GPC system.

But MPs said more was needed. Departments should have to check 100% of transactions, and should only extend the cards to permanent staff members, they said.

They called for a ban on buying alcohol and a reduction in five-star hotel bookings.

Mrs Hodge added that MPs were "not convinced" the cards represented "an appropriate use of public funds".
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

another thing for them to strike over, being unfairly picked on and all that....

Comment

Expenses have to meet the same tax rules as everyone else. Set the tax man on them.

If the tax man wants tax & penalties, you can withdraw the expense payment to save them the penalties. You are just being nice.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Expenses have to meet the same tax rules as everyone else. Set the tax man on them.

If the tax man wants tax & penalties, you can withdraw the expense payment to save them the penalties. You are just being nice.
        there is a big difference to claiming expesnes against your salary to just claiming expenses that the govt pays.

But agreed with your sentiment. If we cut out all this stuff and all the other govt wastage we probably would be taking about austerity quite as much.

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
          there is a big difference to claiming expesnes against your salary to just claiming expenses that the govt pays.

But agreed with your sentiment. If we cut out all this stuff and all the other govt wastage we probably would be taking about austerity quite as much.
          I'm suggesting using the taxman to act as an arbiter. Its impartial and requires no ministerial involvement so no strikes.

If my employer pays for non work related expenses then I get to pay tax on the benefit and if I hid it from the taxman I pay fines. so do the civil servants.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
            Theres no difference, the only real difference is the payment mechanism. They still have to be wholly and exclusively incurred for the purposes of their employment

Just because they are in cushy non jobs does not put them above the law, plus I'm sure they'd to pay their 'fair' share of tax being public sector guardianistas
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
            X