• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Genome promises tastier tomato

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genome promises tastier tomato

Not Gnome, Genome

In the early 1990s what changed the tomato industry was the use of non-ripening mutant genes, genes that came from natural mutations that have been used to extend shelf life in the fruit.

But this has been quite a blunt instrument, because when you slow ripening down you also slow down those other processes like flavour development and colour development.
    Tell me about it. most tomatoes these days look great but taste like water.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Originally posted by Diver View Post

Not Gnome, Genome

That's why I'm growing my own these days.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Killer tomatoes

94.5% water by weight. Tomato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps the new genome produces cyanide and so the plants don't need as much insecticide. All they have to do now is find a way to get humans to buy them more than once.

Comment

Only if you buy them out of season. Best to buy local and in season rather tham some mass produced junk imported and out of season.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          That's why I'm growing my own these days.
          If you lived in Holland you could grow your own tomatoes and magic mushrooms.
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
            Where I live the Magic mushrooms are rather abundant in the local countyside.
            Strangely enough we get a lot of hippy type travelers out mushroom picking in season

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post

But no magic mushrooms, soil is fantastic over here for gardening.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

But no magic mushrooms, soil is fantastic over here for gardening.
                The woods near here get carpeted with them along the stream. A trip to the woods here is literal

By the way, never tried them and don't want to

Comment

The woods near here get carpeted with them along the stream. A trip to the woods here is literal

By the way, never tried them and don't want to
                  Used to go 'shrooming when I was younger, for the edible ones not the magic ones.

I've never wanted to try them either.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                  X