• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Guy..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy..

ive just been handed the CV of the guy who could replace me..

dont get me wrong, its a fair enough CV.

no real corporate experience, but the role is tulip so ...

but my one gripe is that, when listing technical skills this guy randonmly puts down long lists of abbrevhiations all the way through the CV...

for example..

• Hand coding html,XHTML,Frontpage 2000,Javascript, Photoshop 7.0., Managing site content, IBM Web Trends, CMS 2002,red dot 4,Bobby testing.

• Key skills being used are HTML, Frontpage Web optimization ,JavaScript, IBM Web Trends, Adobe Photoshop 6 & ImageReady 3.0, ASP, SQL, IIS, FTP, ODBC,Dreamweaver, XML, XHTML

Key skills used above were Adobe Photoshop, Front page,Dreamweaver, Mediasurface 2.0, HTML,DTML, JavaScript and Perl and Unix,

this goesss onnn and oooon througout the CV repeating itself over and over for different projects..

why not just summarise the tech skills and then put something useful in there?

Originally posted by el duder
    ive just been handed the CV of the guy who could replace me..

dont get me wrong, its a fair enough CV.

no real corporate experience, but the role is tulip so ...

but my one gripe is that, when listing technical skills this guy randonmly puts down long lists of abbrevhiations all the way through the CV...

for example..

• Hand coding html,XHTML,Frontpage 2000,Javascript, Photoshop 7.0., Managing site content, IBM Web Trends, CMS 2002,red dot 4,Bobby testing.

• Key skills being used are HTML, Frontpage Web optimization ,JavaScript, IBM Web Trends, Adobe Photoshop 6 & ImageReady 3.0, ASP, SQL, IIS, FTP, ODBC,Dreamweaver, XML, XHTML

Key skills used above were Adobe Photoshop, Front page,Dreamweaver, Mediasurface 2.0, HTML,DTML, JavaScript and Perl and Unix,

this goesss onnn and oooon througout the CV repeating itself over and over for different projects..

why not just summarise the tech skills and then put something useful in there?

Research shows that the average time for a recruiter or client to fall asleep after reading a CV is about four seconds so its rather immaterial as to what he reads after Your Name (tip , it does help if you remember to put this down) and ones exhorbitant Rate so after that its rather immaterial.

To prove this point under Hobbies and Interests I have included Performing Animal Sacrifices in the Car Park strictly during Lunch Hours and never once been quizzed on this.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 31 May 2006, 15:44.

Comment

nice.

quite daring of you though eh.

Comment

oh yeah ...

Which reminds me, you're now going to rewrite all the documentation so the new guy can follow it. Then you're going to give him full training. AND all with a smile on your face and for free ... I would be really disappointed if you didn't.

You are such a generous guy

Comment

that is what im meant to be doing now...

but i have put together a simple guide for him yes.

i see it as part of any project. otherwise where would the progression be for the project?

Comment

Hobbies and interests? Does anyone put stuff like that on a CV? I never do, just as well as I haven't got any.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I once got ticked off by a disgruntled agent for not listing the techy skills involved in each project. I'd listed them at the top and then talked about what I'd produced on each project in non-technical terms. He didn't like that at all, but he was the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                Hobbies and interests? Does anyone put stuff like that on a CV? I never do, just as well as I haven't got any.
                Why would it be relevant if you're a contractor

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  Another benefit I've found of being a contractor is not having to invent hobbies and interests to put down in the new employees bit of the company newsletter.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm surprised you are giving this person who is taking the bread from your mouth the time of day. Mmmm. Since you have his CV, you could always post his details onto a recruitment web site. You'll have to be careful not to be caught of course. When he starts getting a stream of phone calls from recruitment agents the client won't be too pleased. Small pleasures for small minds.

Comment

Working...
                    X