• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cloning a hard disk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cloning a hard disk

My fathers pc has 2 hard disks, 1 for programs, 1 for documents.

The Programs (c hard drive is on its way out as it's approx 6 years old and is used 24/7 as its the home media center. It's not dead yet but not very stable. I'm almost certain it's the hard drive that's dying and so intend to replace it like for like.

Replacing the drive is easy as it's a Western Digital 500Gb Caviar Blue SATA drive, however, what's the best way to clone the disk to an exact replacement disk without having to re-install everything again.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a good disk cloning program?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

I use Paragon partition manager quite a lot. It'll let you do resizing and so on as well.
    Last edited by doodab; 5 June 2012, 14:21.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I've been using Clonezilla for years and works every time. Just make a boot CD and follow the prompts.

Oh and totally free.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

I'd backup docs and profile and start afresh, after 6 years (assuming it's XP) that machine will be dog slow.

Use Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once to take the pain of installing all the usual extras, ooh and download SP3 before you start.

Thats just me.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Nope not XP, it was originally but was upgraded to Win7, the disk is 6 years old though.

Will try clonezilla as its free and then look at paradigm if not.

Cheers folks
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Just check if the new drive is a 4096k sector drive that you align the sectors when you do the clone back to disk.

Comment

Working...
            X