• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Olympic Torch in Dublin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic Torch in Dublin

Why is our torch going to Dublin?

Ireland has not paid anything towards the huge cost of the games!
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Shall I try to get wound up about this or shall I just go for a 20 euro dump?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This whole Olympic thing is really starting to piss me off. The people that make these decisions must be so cut of from reality it's not true. Do they just sit in a swanky bar in London and come up with ideas that make them look good with no regard for what everyone else thinks and then pat each other on the back. Someone should be held to account for all this up in the air thinking.

New torch for every runner, going to Dublin, Will I Am carrying it, a crap load of olympic buildings that cannot be used after the games. It is just ridiculous.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        This whole Olympic thing is really starting to piss me off. The people that make these decisions must be so cut of from reality it's not true. Do they just sit in a swanky bar in London and come up with ideas that make them look good with no regard for what everyone else thinks and then pat each other on the back. Someone should be held to account for all this up in the air thinking.

New torch for every runner, going to Dublin, Will I Am carrying it, a crap load of olympic buildings that cannot be used after the games. It is just ridiculous.
        +1

Why the zil lanes? The athletes are in the olympic village.

If the ticket allocation had been done fairly then fine. One ballot. Max one ticket per person.

Comment

They're totally divorced from reality. That's why everywhere the torch goes, the streets are lined with hordes of excited people.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            They're totally divorced from reality. That's why everywhere the torch goes, the streets are lined with hordes of excited people.
            I will hold my hand up to say I went to see the torch and people were very happy. It is indeed quite a spectacle but does the average joe public know how much all this costs? Anyone can make a load of people happy with that amount of money to throw away. Did we really need to buy 8000 torches?

See how happy they are when they find out how much that few hours of fun cost them. A localised bit of excitement does not justify the money wasted on it all.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well personally I like watching the Olympics, for the sport. I'll watch some of the athletics and the track cycling and might stumble upon the ladies' beach volleyball by accident. But I've never been a fan of all the ceremony around sport and the Olympics torch stuff, opening and closing ceremonies and so on is imho seriously overblown. Just get on with the games and the races and stuff all the ceremonies.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                Why is our torch going to Dublin?

Ireland has not paid anything towards the huge cost of the games!
                Dublin is in the British Isles. There are more Irish in England that Ireland.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I will hold my hand up to say I went to see the torch and people were very happy. It is indeed quite a spectacle but does the average joe public know how much all this costs? Anyone can make a load of people happy with that amount of money to throw away. Did we really need to buy 8000 torches?

See how happy they are when they find out how much that few hours of fun cost them. A localised bit of excitement does not justify the money wasted on it all.
                  When you stop spending money for fun, things are really bad IMHO. It's cheaper than fixing the real problems
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    When you stop spending money for fun, things are really bad IMHO. It's cheaper than fixing the real problems
                    I do detest the Olympics though. If it was just down to sport, I would find no problem with that however, the Olympics are a commercial organisation and the sponsors are large corporations and the profits will go offshore. The Olympic infrastructure and security is provided at a loss to the taxpayers. Either it should be sport for the people or a fully commercial venture and not subsidised.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X