• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank eyes rate cut and £50bn cash injection to boost economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank eyes rate cut and £50bn cash injection to boost economy

Morning chaps

Hope you all had a good bank holiday. The potential rate cut will be good news if your mortgage is on a tracker at the moment as long as your product doesn't have a collar.

The Bank of England is preparing to inject £50bn into the economy to provide a growth boost, and is also contemplating cutting interest rates, amid fears of a global slump.

inShare.1According to a report in the Sunday Times, economists are now pricing in £50bn of quantitative easing this week, while there is mounting speculation that the record low interest rate of 0.5% could be cut to 0.25%.

The clamour for a rate cut has been growing in some quarters after the latest wave of bad news from Europe and the US, where data is declining sharply.

The US unemployment rate unexpectedly climbed last week, rising to 8.2%, while in Europe the eurozone crisis is far from resolved, with German bond yields tumbling to new record lows last week as Spain's hit record highs.

In the UK, where the economy is already officially back in recession, the picture is also bleak.

On Friday, the latest PMI survey for the manufacturing sector - an area the government had hoped would lead the country out of recession - showed one of the largest falls in activity for 20 years, hitting a three-year low.

While a rate cut has been backed in some quarters, other economists have questioned how effective it would be, warning it will impact banks' balance sheets further at a time when they are still weak.

This thread needs girls

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The problems in the Euro zone have kept money in Sterling, so there had been no real side effect of the quantitative easing.

When China opens its currency for trading, Sterling could crash, big time.

I'm out!
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Seriously though, even though without the collar what difference would another 0.25% cut make to mortgage payments after all the previous cuts?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I guess it helps keep the Housing market afloat, which is what is driving this. Housing crash and we're Spain, but without the sunshine and sangria.

If house prices 'normalised', we'd have a whole world of bankrupticies at the front door, as I can't see how we could survive a 50% devaluation, a la Spain, a la Ireland.

It's the Elephant in the corner. In France, prices haven't crashed, per se, but have slowly fell, and I think there's more to come.

I think this white water ride hasn't actually started yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            I guess it helps keep the Housing market afloat, which is what is driving this. Housing crash and we're Spain, but without the sunshine and sangria.

If house prices 'normalised', we'd have a whole world of bankrupticies at the front door, as I can't see how we could survive a 50% devaluation, a la Spain, a la Ireland.

It's the Elephant in the corner. In France, prices haven't crashed, per se, but have slowly fell, and I think there's more to come.

I think this white water ride hasn't actually started yet.
            +1
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Didn't house prices in Sydney drop 50% after the Olympics?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Seriously though, even though without the collar what difference would another 0.25% cut make to mortgage payments after all the previous cuts?
                It depends if banks decide to reduce the margins on tracker rates to help new borrowers to stimulate the housing market. For existing borrowers, it provides the opportunity to pay their existing mortgage down more quickly by making overpayments above and beyond their normal payment.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                  It depends if banks decide to reduce the margins on tracker rates to help new borrowers to stimulate the housing market. For existing borrowers, it provides the opportunity to pay their existing mortgage down more quickly by making overpayments above and beyond their normal payment.
                  If only the banks had not given so many interest only loans
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    This thread needs girls

+1

one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                    X