• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployed had to sleep under bridge to work for Jubilee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployed had to sleep under bridge to work for Jubilee

The future is now:
    Unpaid jubilee stewards: Prescott accuses government of exploitation | UK news | guardian.co.uk
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

As it says, there was dry sheltered accomodation. For a few days, no problem at all for fit people. Prescott is an utter arse and it's mostly his government that is responsible for the serious long term exploitation of trafficked migrants, some of whom are virtual slaves.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Sleeping in a tent is no hardship, but being made to do 14 hour shifts, unpaid, is beyond Victorian.

Comment

Under a bridge? Luxury!
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Oh, hello...

But Prescott said the "very bad incident" raised "many questions about the use of unpaid labour". Prescott, who is running to be the elected police and crime commissioner for the Humberside police force area, called on Theresa May to investigate whether the company had broken the security industry's own employment standards and is urging the government to review the company's contract for the Olympics.

In the letter, Prescott said the situation raised "very serious questions" about the "suitability of using private security contractors to do frontline policing instead of trained police officers" and that the company had shown a "blatant disregard for the care of its workers".

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Sleeping in a tent is no hardship, but being made to do 14 hour shifts, unpaid, is beyond Victorian.
            Capitalism yields winners and losers.
            HTH
            one day at a time

Comment

It's quite an experience sleeping on the streets. For a little while.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Makes you wonder how motivated an unpaid security person is going to be if something kicked off. Er, no I'm not paid enough to take one for the team, I'll sit this one out.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Makes you wonder how motivated an unpaid security person is going to be if something kicked off. Er, no I'm not paid enough to take one for the team, I'll sit this one out.
                  Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
                  HTH
                  one day at a time

Comment

In the letter, Prescott said the situation raised "very serious questions" about the "suitability of using private security contractors to do frontline policing instead of trained police officers"
                    And thats the crux of it, you can't use trained police officers as successive governments have cut back on the policing budget which means that there are less and less police officers to go around. Every single government since Thatcher wants to privatise the UK as they think its cheaper but in the long run, it ain't...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X