• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this part of the world f**ed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this part of the world f**ed?

I've had a couple of people recently telling me about the joys of working in parts of the world that haven't been ****ed over by labour governments and ill-conceived currency unification projects. Their message being: Hey UK and Europe is a bit tulipty now, but Asia is booming.

Has anyone here ever worked in Singapore, (and taken their family with them)?

What's the market and earning potential for IT engineers?

Here you go: British Somalis going back for a future - Channel 4 News

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out

Comment

Originally posted by Mupps View Post
      I've had a couple of people recently telling me about the joys of working in parts of the world that haven't been ****ed over by labour governments and ill-conceived currency unification projects. Their message being: Hey UK and Europe is a bit tulipty now, but Asia is booming.

My brother has been out in singapore at an IB on an expat deal for several years. We visited with the kids last year and had an amazing time although the weather is very rainy - no dry season - sun in the morning, torrential rain in the afternoon and humid evenings and the place is squeeky clean and mega safe but slightly artificial feeling including fake beaches and slightly culturally cleansed. But dont underestimate the the impact of the downturn on banks - the biggest employers - they are in the process of cutting back - my brother has been kicked off the expat package and put on a local salary which was about half of his uk basic. My inquiries suggest that I would earn half my UK contract pay but lower taxes. living costs are mixed - food and taxis are very cheap - dont need a car. Good accommodation can be found but at similar rents to UK, maybe slightly less - . The best bonus for famillies is the live-in Phillipino maid (single males not allowed one) - every apartment usually comes with living quarters for your maid and she will do all childcare, housework, cooking etc for a small wage and roof over her head and some time to go home occassionally means the wife can get a job as well. However schools are seriously expensive - more than the UK and difficult to get into. Otherwise anything European is expensive like beer and wine e.g. a £5 wine is £25 there. With development work, you will get stiff competition from Indians (one third of the population) and you will need something to make you unique. But it is a very pleasant place to live and work and sometimes you will get a bit bored but you can jump on a cheap plane - to Bali, Indo, Malay just like you;d pop over to Paris or Barcelona etc.

I'd be interested if it wasnt the school thing. Since there are enough skills over there, companies will no longer bear the cost of schooling. Missed the boat.......

Comment

Don’t get into bother with the fuzz over there old chap.
        Last edited by oscarose; 7 June 2012, 07:45. Reason: error
        one day at a time

Comment

Somalia, Hmm. it'll be nice and warm.

Do you know if they have Waitrose there?

Comment

Have you thought about French Guiana?

It is actually part of the EU and does have a McDonalds.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Singapore ? you must be bonkers. I kew this bloke who moved there, worst mistake he ever made.

you dont want to go there mate. Have you ever heard of Umbongo-RotaVirus ?

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

My 2 cents - you'll enjoy it, but you'll appreciate that things aren't quite as bad as you might think they are.

If you are rich, you're fine.

Comment

Dunno about Singapore; visited once, felt it was all a bit squeaky clean an boring. But as for Europe being f**ked over by labour governments, ill concieved currency projects and so on, I don't think that's the full story. I think Europe(including GB) is actually being f**ked over by decadence, spoilt brat populations who think elections are a shopping trip with someone else's credit card, a culture that's being destroyed by pulp media and the glorification of talentless and stupid people in this cult of 'celebrity', a lack of appreciation for how lucky we all are to grow up with education, healthcare, housing, clean water and plentiful food, a dependency culture that says whatever real or imagined problem there is must be solved by the government; hence lots of regulation, lots of quangos and lots of stupid schemes like IR35 based entirely on jealousy bla bla bla I could go on for ever but this is turning into a boring rant.
                  Take a look in some of the more stable countries in Africa; Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, and these days even Ethiopia; their governments are vaguely left winged, but people get on with it because they don't have much choice. Work, take initiative, make the best of things or starve. I'm not suggesting that 3rd world conditions are what we need here in Europe, but spome of the energy and gumption of people who work all day, then spend the weekend tending their gardens to sell veg at the market or organising footie games for the kids, and laugh and smile while they're at it would go a long way. Visit hotels and restaurants (no, not just the smart places) or take a taxi or a bus and you'll get friendly service that isn't fake and subservient; people just get pleasure from doing something for someone else. They also get quite good tips from western tourists.
                  Western societies lack the balls to do anything about their situation, and the leaders who would be prepared to give people the hard truth while managing competently and dealing with the rest of the world properly don't work for governments; their skills are better rewarded in business or self employment.

Unstructured incoherent rant over.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Dunno about Singapore; visited once, felt it was all a bit squeaky clean an boring. But as for Europe being f**ked over by labour governments, ill concieved currency projects and so on, I don't think that's the full story. I think Europe(including GB) is actually being f**ked over by decadence, spoilt brat populations who think elections are a shopping trip with someone else's credit card, a culture that's being destroyed by pulp media and the glorification of talentless and stupid people in this cult of 'celebrity', a lack of appreciation for how lucky we all are to grow up with education, healthcare, housing, clean water and plentiful food, a dependency culture that says whatever real or imagined problem there is must be solved by the government; hence lots of regulation, lots of quangos and lots of stupid schemes like IR35 based entirely on jealousy bla bla bla I could go on for ever but this is turning into a boring rant.
                    Take a look in some of the more stable countries in Africa; Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, and these days even Ethiopia; their governments are vaguely left winged, but people get on with it because they don't have much choice. Work, take initiative, make the best of things or starve. I'm not suggesting that 3rd world conditions are what we need here in Europe, but spome of the energy and gumption of people who work all day, then spend the weekend tending their gardens to sell veg at the market or organising footie games for the kids, and laugh and smile while they're at it would go a long way. Visit hotels and restaurants (no, not just the smart places) or take a taxi or a bus and you'll get friendly service that isn't fake and subservient; people just get pleasure from doing something for someone else. They also get quite good tips from western tourists.
                    Western societies lack the balls to do anything about their situation, and the leaders who would be prepared to give people the hard truth while managing competently and dealing with the rest of the world properly don't work for governments; their skills are better rewarded in business or self employment.

Unstructured incoherent rant over.

I think i agree with most of that.

The wife wants a better quality of life than the UK currently can offer (more bang per buck i guess), but still all nicey, safey, middle class etc.

Me, i want top of the range kit to work on, tons of moeny, much more playtime than now. and a suntan.

Comment

Working...
                    X