• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LeakedIn.org - check if your password was leaked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LeakedIn.org - check if your password was leaked

Chris Shiflett and friends have got the password hash dump and have set up a site where you can see if you're in there, and if your password had been cracked at the time the dump was produced: http://leakedin.org/

Chris is well-known in the web development community (he's published a couple of books on web site security too) so his site can be trusted, but if you don't want to take his word for it, the site allows you to enter the SHA1 hash of your password instead. If you enter your actual password they SHA1 hash it anyway with JavaScript before sending it (I've checked and this does happen; if you use NoScript or similar remember to enable JS on the site first), so either way you won't be disclosing your password to them.

Mine is in there

I needed some new passwords anyway.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I needed some new passwords anyway.
      I need several now. Mine hasn't - well, hadn't - yet been cracked, but it can't be trusted anymore now the hash is out there and associated with an email address at my domain, even though I use a separate email address for LinkedIn.

At least it wasn't the password I use for important stuff like banking, GMail, and CUK

Comment

I'm glad I don't use LinkedIn: I had a feeling that no good would come of massive amounts of people handing over details of who they'd worked with to a faceless organisation that appeared to have a propensity for technical incompetence and spamming even before you joined it. It's just the world's biggest chain letter, and even if you were to attempt to use it to find contracts or permie jobs, I suspect the amount of spam you'd get from people you're not interested in working for/with would far outweigh any meaningful unsolicited approaches.

Comment

Don't know how long this will survive, but at the moment you can get the file and check for yourself at http://www.mediafire.com/?n307hutksjstow3

N.B. if the hash has been cracked, the first 5 characters of the hash will have been replaced with zeroes.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I need several now. Mine hasn't - well, hadn't - yet been cracked, but it can't be trusted anymore now the hash is out there and associated with an email address at my domain, even though I use a separate email address for LinkedIn.

At least it wasn't the password I use for important stuff like banking, GMail, and CUK
            Getting a bit confused here.
            Are you saying that if they know your LinkedIn password, that they can crack passwords that are associated with other e-mail addresses associated with the same domain?

Being a thick mainframe muppet here, but what are the actual risks to accounts associated with other passwords as a result of the LinkedIn passwords getting out?

Comment

According to that password hash testing application, the word "password" was not cracked as a password. I'm going to go right ahead and say that it's possible not all of the passwords that were actually cracked are on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                According to that password hash testing application, the word "password" was not cracked as a password. I'm going to go right ahead and say that it's possible not all of the passwords that were actually cracked are on the list.
                Correct that this almost certainly isn't the whole of the leak, which is why you should change your LinkedIn password anyway, and also change it anywhere you've used the same password.

It shows me that "password" has been cracked. Also "p4ssw0rd" and some other variants. I've also verified these against my own download of the hash file.

More to the point, it shows "linkedin", "LinkedIn", "L1nk3d1n" and similar variants, making it very likely that this is indeed a LinkedIn leak - unless the whole thing is a hoax, of course.

Oh, and "LinkedOut" which somebody no doubt thought was very cunning
                Last edited by NickFitz; 7 June 2012, 00:14.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                  Getting a bit confused here.
                  Are you saying that if they know your LinkedIn password, that they can crack passwords that are associated with other e-mail addresses associated with the same domain?

Being a thick mainframe muppet here, but what are the actual risks to accounts associated with other passwords as a result of the LinkedIn passwords getting out?
                  It's just that I have a medium-level password used for a few different not-very-important places, and also have in the past used site-specific emails at my own domain when I suspect I'll want to easily filter stuff or track down spam, such as [email protected], or [email protected].

It's entirely possible that a hacker with access to cracked passwords and associated email addresses could filter out the ones that aren't at well-known sites like Hotmail or Yahoo, look up domains and identify those that appear to be held by individuals rather than corporations, and cross-reference with other email addresses from other cracked sites. These days, if you're using a botnet to brute-force a few million accounts against a bunch of cracked passwords, it's a trivial matter to include a couple more million possibilities made by recombining parts of email addresses.

Also, LinkedIn also had an alternate email address on record for me so, if their whole account database has been hacked (which is most likely), that email might be valid together with the cracked password (if it ever is cracked) at other sites.

Overall it's annoying but none of the things I used that password for are so important that it matters if they get broken into. LinkedIn wasn't important enough for me to use a seriously tough password, unlike banks and such. Anyway, at the time the file was created, mine still hadn't been broken, unlike 3,521,180 out of the 6,143,150 in there

Comment

Looks like mine hasn't been leaked. LinkedIn was on the "generic" list which just got the same password as it wasn't important.

These days salting really should be made mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                    X