• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Airline ticket prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airline ticket prices

Looking to book a couple of tickets due to a mate getting married in the US near the end of the year. This is the price breakdown of the ticket;

Ticket price 209.00
    Booking fee -
    Carrier-imposed international surcharge 213.00
    UK air passenger duty 65.00
    US international transportation tax 21.80
    Airport Passenger Service Charge 18.25
    Security charge 11.80
    Airport Passenger Service Charge 10.80
    USA passenger civil aviation security service fee 4.80
    US INS user fee 4.60
    US customs user fee 3.60
    US APHIS fee 3.30
    Netherlands noise isolation charge 3.20
    USA passenger facility charge 2.90
    Price: 572.05

WTF is Carrier-imposed international surcharge supposed to mean?

The real reason for my tantrum is that this will not be covered by my rapidly becoming worthless due to ticket price structuring airmiles.

It started out as a fuel levy when oil skyrocketed a few years back. Now it seems they have a levy to cover what it costs them to put on the flight. My last transatlantic flight was £398 and only £86.50 was the ticket price. £43.25 to fly 5000 miles seems pretty reasonable.

Comment

Lose the friend, buy a house in South West France and pay less to get there and back by car.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Looking to book a couple of tickets due to a mate getting married in the US near the end of the year. This is the price breakdown of the ticket;

Ticket price 209.00
        Booking fee -
        Carrier-imposed international surcharge 213.00
        UK air passenger duty 65.00
        US international transportation tax 21.80
        Airport Passenger Service Charge 18.25
        Security charge 11.80
        Airport Passenger Service Charge 10.80
        USA passenger civil aviation security service fee 4.80
        US INS user fee 4.60
        US customs user fee 3.60
        US APHIS fee 3.30
        Netherlands noise isolation charge 3.20
        USA passenger facility charge 2.90
        Price: 572.05

WTF is Carrier-imposed international surcharge supposed to mean?

The real reason for my tantrum is that this will not be covered by my rapidly becoming worthless due to ticket price structuring airmiles.
        It means "bend over". HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Every time I look at using airmiles (Avios), I can get a cheaper non-airmiles fare. I have > 120,000 Avios now, never spent one, not for want of trying.

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            Look at his avatar...

Comment

The cost of US flights is incredible and stupid.

I struggled to get flights to the US and because of the short nature was quotes £3000 for the dates I wanted in Premium Economy. In the end I had to pay £1000 for economy which pissed me off an there was no longer any Premium or Business class tickets with BA. When I got to the airport I asked a out an upgrade and was told I could have a premium promotion upgrade for £180 which i paid. Business class was £495 but they didn't have any. When I got on the plane Business class was empty. Availability before the flight showed it full and the only time I got a quote it was £5k.

BA is a law unto itself.

So I've changed my flight from Next Tuesday in San Fran to tomorrow in San Diego, costing me about $125. I'll try and upgrade at the airport.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                When I got on the plane Business class was empty. Availability before the flight showed it full and the only time I got a quote it was £5k.
                Could you have slipped one of the air stewardesses a tenner on board and get in there?

Comment

Working...
                X