• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

slug deterrent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slug deterrent

This wet weather has brought out the slegs and snails in their hordes and I fear for me sweet peas and other bedding plants I've recently put in.

Now, I don't like using nasty chemically aka because I don't want to hurt the birdies but I really am struggling to find a decent alternative.

Half the problem is that the green methods are labour intensive and I'm away Mon-Fri.

For example, I've used that barrier gel around pits and planters but it needs to be re-applied after rainbow.

Ditto crushed eggshells - they sorely ok but I'd need to eat 5 dozen a week to maintain a decent supply.

Beer ok but needs to be topped up a.d not even sure it works that well - if anything it just entices more of them into the garden.

Some things I've had recommended don't work at all - copper wire for instance.

Anyone got any other good methods?

I remember a technique I saw on TV many years ago, demonstrated by a chap called Kenneth Robinson. He'd line up slug pellets along his forearm and finger-flick them at the slugs. You could hear their little yelps of pain when he hit his target, which was often enough to prove to me it worked.

Another method is to keep hedgehogs. They are partial to a slug.

Comment

Raised beds with gravel around them. Little tikes hate a bit of gravel.

If you want to help the birds, get after them with scissors, the slugs that is.

I was also led to believe that a bit of a charge through the copper wire kept them away.

We have raised beds with gravel and don't have issues, apart from when we get supplies of spoil which have the bloody eggs in them....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Raised beds with gravel around them. Little tikes hate a bit of gravel.

If you want to help the birds, get after them with scissors, the slugs that is.

I was also led to believe that a bit of a charge through the copper wire kept them away.

We have raised beds with gravel and don't have issues, apart from when we get supplies of spoil which have the bloody eggs in them....
        I've got dry stone walls - the perfect habitat for snails.

In fact, in this part of the world, they were colloquially know as wall fruit owing to their habitat and the fact that they were regarded as a delicacy.

Comment

Following on from my earlier post, it was actually THE Kenneth Robinson, who also narrated that splendid series The Shadoks And The Gibis back in the 1970s.

PS I just did a 'Google' on Ken and slug pellets, to see if it was on youtube, and top of the Google results was my post above. That was quick. How does that work?

Comment

Get MF to move in with you. They don't like competition.

Comment

Mrs BP says the best slug deterrent is a kick in the nads.

Comment

My grandmother used to eat her breakfast grapefruit and then put the empty skins dome up among her prize plants, both veg and flowers.

I have no idea what the fascination of grapefruit for slugs is though.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  My grandmother used to eat her breakfast grapefruit and then put the empty skins dome up among her prize plants, both veg and flowers.

I have no idea what the fascination of grapefruit for slugs is though.
                  Maybe they have kidney issues? My ex-wife has to avoid grapefruit. And St Johns Wort.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                    This wet weather has brought out the slegs and snails in their hordes and I fear for me sweet peas and other bedding plants I've recently put in.

Now, I don't like using nasty chemically aka because I don't want to hurt the birdies but I really am struggling to find a decent alternative.

Half the problem is that the green methods are labour intensive and I'm away Mon-Fri.

For example, I've used that barrier gel around pits and planters but it needs to be re-applied after rainbow.

Ditto crushed eggshells - they sorely ok but I'd need to eat 5 dozen a week to maintain a decent supply.

Beer ok but needs to be topped up a.d not even sure it works that well - if anything it just entices more of them into the garden.

Some things I've had recommended don't work at all - copper wire for instance.

Anyone got any other good methods?
                    Take the GPS location of the slugs and send it with a note to the US Embassy saying there’re Taliban
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X