• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3.5 hours on 1 stretch of the M25

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5 hours on 1 stretch of the M25

So I had my interview today in Brighton and ended up flying to heathrow and renting a car out (cheapest option). On the way there it was fine, met up with a friend in south London afterwards. Left nice and early only to be faced with perhaps the worst driving experience I have ever had. Countless accidents, lane closures, broken down vehicles. The M25 was literally the worlds biggest car park. I missed my flight by 10 mins and am now shattered. Never again will I go near that hellish motorway ......
    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 7 June 2012, 22:44.

Why didn't you use your helicopter?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      So I had my interview today in Brighton and ended up flying to heathrow and renting a car out (cheapest option). On the way there it was fine, met up with a friend in south London afterwards. Left nice and early only to be faced with perhaps the worst driving experience I have ever had. Countless accidents, lane closures, broken down vehicles. The M25 was literally the worlds biggest car park. I missed my flight by 10 mins and am now shattered. Never again will I go near that hellish motorway ......

Sounds like the interview commute from hell. I had an interview experience with many of the same elements but in a different order, back in Feb 2009, during the big snow. I had an interview in London, left Glasgow Airport nice and early for a turnaround commute with an interview in the middle. Our landing got held up owing to a fuel spillage on the runway at Heathrow, and we eventually got redirected to Brighton to wait out and refuel. I had to call the interviewers from the tarmac at Brighton to first say that I was delayed, then to cancel and reschedule completely as things dragged on. We eventually made it into Heathrow around 16:00, some eight and half hours after I left Glasgow, just in time for me to turn around and start the whole booking process again for the return flight to Glasgow.

I got the gig in the end (but ended up turning it down). Come the time of the rescheduled interview, there was at least nobody asking "Rachel who?", as they'd all heard about my commute from hell. Rather, I got lots of people coming up to me asking in concerned voices "are you that girl that ended up in Brighton when they came down the last time?" . Here's hoping you get the outcome you're after for your troubles on this occasion too.
      Last edited by Gentile; 7 June 2012, 22:58.

Comment

Is this another mild hearted rant?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A few years ago I was heading back from Bristol: left the office around 1400 on Friday, expecting to be home by 1700 at the latest.

Northbound on the M5 and, just after Michaelwood services, came to a halt.

Some nutter (literally) had taken unauthorised leave from a secure psychiatric unit, nicked a car, and headed for the motorway. When stopped, he had claimed to have a bomb in his rucksack.

Now, he'd hardly had time to pick up or construct a bomb since his departure from the ward; he'd had just enough time to nick a car and drive to the motorway. But this was a few months after 7/7, and the police weren't taking any chances, so we had to wait until the bomb squad checked the rucksack out. It had some clothes in it.

I got home at around 22:40, and had to walk quite rapidly to make last orders

Comment

I got home at around 22:40, and had to walk quite rapidly to make last orders
            Well done that man.
            SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Welcome to life down south. Too many cars, too many people.

Comment

Were you expecting to move down for the duration? Otherwise that sounds like a job from hell. Why would you ever expect the south side of the M25 to be anything short of a car park??? I have seen loads of stuff come up for Redhill in surrey but theres no way Id apply because I know that I will end up mostly sat in traffic and the rates won't support accommodation.

Comment

Once took me 6 hours to travel 60 miles in the snow, again 2009.

Was working near J25 on the M1 and it started snowing at about 3:30. By 4:00 it was coming down hard, was obvious it wasn't going to let up and people started heading for the doors to get home while they still could. By the time I got on the M1 it was down to 2 lanes, by the time I got to J27 it was single lane and crawling. It took me 3 1/2 hours to get to J30 where I turn off for home, but by this time the local roads were under a foot of snow and littered with abandoned cars and lorries that couldn't get up the hills. It took another 2 1/2 hours to do the last 15 miles home. I finally got home just after 10:00pm that night and ended up working from home for the next ten days as it became impossible to go anywhere.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I am going to LITERALLY neg you for the incorrect use of the word LITERALLY!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X