• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Misuse of perfect tense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misuse of perfect tense

Normally used by blokes when recounting details of some violent fracas;

So I've walked into this pub and this bloke has come at me fists flying etc...

Is this some kind of regional thing that has spread because it seems to be everywhere these days.

Similarly...

Incorrect use of (I think) the gerund;

I'm liking your shoes etc...

That just annoys me.

Does mindless ******* pap annoy you? It does me.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Pacha,

I find myself saying "True dat" often these days. Just not after any of your recebt posts sadly. It's making me glum.

Yours,

OS

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

This is not incorrect. It is a a rhetorical device. It will be followed by, 'And then I say to him...'.

This is the historic present tense and serves to make the story more immediate. It was good enough for Caesar.

Similarly...

That just annoys me.
        The gerund is a noun form of a verb, such as, 'Swimming is my favourite sport.' 'I'm liking your shoes' is a present continuous tense. The usage, 'I am liking' is correct in Indian English and has spread into other forms of English, at which point it has become correct. It may of course annoy you. I'm lovin' that.

Comment

I'll never get these 60 seconds back you know...

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Pacha,

I find myself saying "True dat" often these days. Just not after any of your recebt posts sadly. It's making me glum.

Yours,

OS
            Oddly enough I don't think you will like the Urban Dictionary definition of Glum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Does mindless ******* pap annoy you? It does me.
              So, I've been reading your posts and you've been all like angry and I'm thinking it probably does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                So, I've been reading your posts and you've been all like angry and I'm thinking it probably does.
                Am liking your posts.

Comment

Is this some kind of regional thing that has spread because it seems to be everywhere these days.

Similarly...

That just annoys me.
                  Werd .
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                  X