• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forced To Take 10% Pay Cut In IB - Are My Human Rights Violated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced To Take 10% Pay Cut In IB - Are My Human Rights Violated

A serious question posted in general to try and get a wide range of perspectives

I work in a bank as a contractor - They applied a 10% cut across the board.

Has anyone seriously looked at whether they have broken any employment rules and whether people have any rights?

Also out of interest do you always need to be given notice if they want to fire you (ie paid for 4 weeks) if they want you to leave immediately?

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    A serious question posted in general to try and get a wide range of perspectives

Has anyone seriously looked at whether they have broken any employment rules and whether people have any rights?

Also out of interest do you always need to be given notice if they want to fire you (ie paid for 4 weeks) if they want you to leave immediately?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I advise you to immediately get pregnant, mortgage the second house to the hilt and then claim maternity pay. Sue them when they refuse to cough up

HTH
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

You have the right to find another contract and give your notice, that's about as far as it goes.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Never has a nickname been so appropriate.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No.

You're supposed to be a businessman. Start acting like one...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              You have the right to find another contract and give your notice, that's about as far as it goes.
              It would surely depend on the terms of the contract and how they impose the cut. If he has a 30day notice period and they are giving him 30days notice of the cut, that's fine. If they are trying to change the rate sooner than the notice period, or if there is no notice period, that could be dodgy.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

And since he wanted this thread in General, who are we to argue?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Human rights ??

jeez. they aren't planning on gassing you as well ? those employer bastids .

I once worked for an insurance company, and I took three coffees from the machine instead of the two we were officially allowed. The head capo came round with a machete and lopped my left arm off at the elbow.
                  I had them bang to rights, and got £50 compo, for infringing my human rights. The head of the panel said, 'for the rest of his career, he can only bring one coffee back, two if he balances one on his 'ead'

dicksplat

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I would just walk away and say "good luck with hiring those cheap foreign types".

Last time I did that they said "Well we though we were going to get some Indians but it is worse, they are Australian, thick as mince."

Comment

Working...
                    X