• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giftaid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giftaid

Can I tick the box seeing as I pay zero income tax?

I pay other taxes obviously but I don't want an investigation for being naive.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Probably not

Linky

You can use Gift Aid if the amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax you’ve paid for the tax year in which you make your donation is at least equal to the amount of basic rate tax the charity or CASC and any other charities or CASCs you donate to will reclaim on your gift.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Yes you probably can but:

"If you don’t pay enough tax you will need to pay any shortfall in tax to HMRC."

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
        Probably not

Linky

You can use Gift Aid if the amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax you’ve paid for the tax year in which you make your donation is at least equal to the amount of basic rate tax the charity or CASC and any other charities or CASCs you donate to will reclaim on your gift.
        Read the entire section
        You don’t necessarily have to be working to be paying tax. Apart from tax on income from a job or self-employment, the tax you’ve paid could include:
        tax deducted at source from savings interest
        tax on State Pension and/or other pensions
        tax on investment or rental income (including tax credits on UK dividends)
        Capital Gains Tax on gains
        I've made the important bit obvious for those who clearly don't read the entire article when wanting to prove an invalid point.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Stuff and "I've made the important bit obvious for those who clearly don't read the entire article when wanting to prove an invalid point."
          I did say "probably" and provide a link for the OP to DYOR.

You are not a very nice person are you?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I pay other taxes obviously but I don't want an investigation for being naive.
            I thought one had to pay oneself the minimum wage
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
              I did say "probably" and provide a link for the OP to DYOR.

You are not a very nice person are you?

Actually you said "probably not" demonstrating that although you found the correct link you had not actually read it.

Being curious I went to the page and instantly found that dividend credits are acceptable so to avoid anyone else wasting their time I decided to make the correct information instantly readable.

I can't comment on whether I'm nice or not this is a group of strangers so who cares. However, you clearly don't bother to investigate and identify relevant information in front of you before making comments or suggestions so to be frank your opinion is really irrelevant.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I thought one had to pay oneself the minimum wage
                That's so 2010.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X