• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security is paramount

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security is paramount

The security of your account is very important to us at LinkedIn. As a precaution, we disabled your password, and advise you to take the following steps to reset it. If you reset your password in the last two days, there is no need for further action.

1. Type www.linkedin.com/settings directly into your browser
    2. Type in your email address and press Sign In, no password necessary
    3. Follow the on-screen directions to reset your password

I think I will sign in and delete my account you ******* half witted protomonkeys.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post

I think I will sign in and delete my account you ******* half witted protomonkeys.
    wtf? really? I already reset my password.

Comment

You can't now

I knew your email address so I simply hijacked your account
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        wtf? really? I already reset my password.
        Don't worry, they'll broadcast the new one for you shortly.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          You can't now

I knew your email address so I simply hijacked your account
          Does doodab use [email protected] then?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

My linkedin password is about 30 characters long now, with numbers, symbols, upper & lowercase etc.

I'd like to see hackers figure out that one with a dictionary search
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              My linkedin password is about 30 characters long now, with numbers, symbols, upper & lowercase etc.

I'd like to see hackers figure out that one with a dictionary search
              They can just look it up.

Comment

I only really use it for finding people with comedy names. I see MF really has taken a job in the states:

randy gaylord profiles | LinkedIn

Comment

I only really use it for finding people with comedy names. I see MF really has taken a job in the states:

randy gaylord profiles | LinkedIn
                  Hairy arsed bloke isn't there any more

Anyone heard from him? Is he OK? His fanclub miss him!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    They can just look it up.
                    They need some rather large rainbow tables to do that.

On the other hand one of the reports I read last week cited a >30 GB (compressed size) set of tables out there somewhere.

I have a feeling that checksums will give collisions so that my-extravagantly-long-password will give the same checksum as something-shorter.

Details of the LinkedIn Hash Brute-Force

LinkedIn was using the SHA-1 digest for passwords, so the folks looking to reverse the passwords are using the following brute-force to match the posted hash:

echo -n "password" | openssl dgst -sha1

If you want to determine if your password was in one of the dumps, that's how. Match the SHA-1 hash that was generated from that sequence against one in the dump, and your password was in that dump.

And SHA-1 is intended to be fast to calculate; it's not a good general choice for hashing passwords.

And the GPU-based attacks are gonzo fast, based on the timestamps on some of the follow-up postings related to the original password dumps.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X