• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXXVIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXXVIII

Apparently there's yet another of those soccer competitions going on. I'm sure you'll be relieved to be able to take your minds off it with this lot:
    • Modern Drunkard - "Standing up for your right to get falling down drunk since 1996." I'm surprised I haven't come across this excellent publication before; a fine collection of articles on such topics as "Why I drink, and why mother****ers need to quit telling me to stop" and "Cold War Cocktails: Duck and cover!"

• Woodward and Bernstein: 40 years after Watergate, Nixon was far worse than we thought - Woodstein's first collaborative piece for the Washington Post in nearly forty years: "In the course of his five-and-a-half-year presidency, beginning in 1969, Nixon launched and managed five successive and overlapping wars — against the anti-Vietnam War movement, the news media, the Democrats, the justice system and, finally, against history itself. All reflected a mind-set and a pattern of behavior that were uniquely and pervasively Nixon’s: a willingness to disregard the law for political advantage, and a quest for dirt and secrets about his opponents as an organizing principle of his presidency."

• 37 Hitchcock Cameos over 50 Years: All in One Video - "Early in his career, Alfred Hitchcock began making small appearances in his own films. The cameos sometimes lasted just a few brief seconds, and sometimes a little while longer. Either way, they became a signature of Hitchcock’s filmmaking, and fans made a sport of seeing whether they could spot the elusive director." There's also a list of them all at Hitchcock.tv.

• Postman Batt Breaks Silence on Silence - Mike Batt finally comes clean about the legal wrangles over the track One Minute Silence on The Planets' album Classical Graffiti, on which John Cage's estate attempted to claim royalties on the basis that it was lifted from his silent work 4'33": "I challenged him to a public duel. We would meet at Baden Powell House on the Cromwell Road, and The Planets could play my piece of silence and he could bring a musician or band to demonstrate/perform the Cage piece. We invited the world’s press, expecting perhaps someone from the Big Issue and a couple of sex-crazed Planets fans, but in fact the World’s Press DID turn up, and Nicholas and I found ourselves in heavyweight press conference situation."

• Can You Call a 9-Year-Old a Psychopath? - "Michael’s problems started, according to his mother, around age 3, shortly after his brother Allan was born... By the time he turned 5, Michael had developed an uncanny ability to switch from full-blown anger to moments of pure rationality or calculated charm — a facility that Anne describes as deeply unsettling. 'You never know when you’re going to see a proper emotion,' she said." Intriguing and disturbing article on children diagnosed as "callous-unemotional".

• xip.io - "xip.io is a magic domain name that provides wildcard DNS for any IP address." Neat tool from 37signals; it makes it much easier to set up vhosts on your servers for testing web content on devices such as phones and tablets where you don't have access to a "hosts" file. (If you don't know what any of that means, you don't need to worry about it.)

• The genius behind Steve: Could operations whiz Tim Cook run the company someday? - "Yes" is the answer; this 2008 profile gives an insight into the way Apple's new boss works: "'This is really bad,' Cook told the group. 'Someone should be in China driving this.' Thirty minutes into that meeting Cook looked at Sabih Khan, a key operations executive, and abruptly asked, without a trace of emotion, 'Why are you still here?'. Khan... immediately stood up, drove to San Francisco International Airport, and, without a change of clothes, booked a flight to China with no return date."

• 10 Creepiest Abandoned Morgues on Earth - Tip of the hat to Netraider for this cheery little gallery

• Reading fiction is addictive and unhealthy, says Corn Flakes guy - Dr. Kellogg pontificates: "The reading of works of fiction is one of the most pernicious habits to which a young lady can become devoted... the practice of novel reading is one of the greatest causes of uterine disease in young women." Tip of the hat to k2p2 for that one

• Caught Dead in That - "Funny tombstones from around the world." Such as:

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Modern Drunkard - "Standing up for your right to get falling down drunk since 1996." I'm surprised I haven't come across this excellent publication before; a fine collection of articles on such topics as "Why I drink, and why mother****ers need to quit telling me to stop" and "Cold War Cocktails: Duck and cover!"[/I]
    I am now curiously thirsty.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Another cracking selection.

Particular the morgue one.
      Morgues always go down well on a Monday

Comment

Working...
      X