• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of taking Sony to small claims court, if I lose will I be liable to pay....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of taking Sony to small claims court, if I lose will I be liable to pay....

Thinking of taking Sony to small claims court, but if I lose will I be liable to pay their legal expenses ??? I heard that they use solicitors that charge £400 / hour for their time.

Its for a Vaio laptop screen, the second time the screen has failed (and I returned it to them) and I bought the laptop late last year. The problem this time is that they are claiming that it was me who squeezed the laptop too much and damaged the screen but that is bull and they want to charge me around £400 for a screen replacement even its well within the 3 year warranty. What I have on my side is that I got a video of the laptop screen marking the night before and the repair centre sent me some additional photos with further damage that wasn't on the video and they must have caused.

I'm having a nightmare with this; but if I give in and pay for the repair its an admission that I broke it and I didn't.

any advice much appreciated. I have an interest in how the small claims court actually works so it may turn out to benefit me in that way. NOTE: I bought the laptop using my LIMITED company, not me the individual.

Have you told them you have the video? Stick it on youtube. And start a facebook page.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If well executed, potential PR damage is worth a lot more to them than you or your laptop.
      Find out if this is a known issue with that particular model and read up on the chatter.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
        Thinking of taking Sony to small claims court, but if I lose will I be liable to pay their legal expenses ???
        In small claims court legal fees are not normally recoverable at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          In small claims court legal fees are not normally recoverable at all.
          I thought they were? They also have to be reasonable. If £400/hr is reasonable then just say that your solicitors fee is £2000/hr.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
            Thinking of taking Sony to small claims court, but if I lose will I be liable to pay their legal expenses ??? I heard that they use solicitors that charge £400 / hour for their time.

Its for a Vaio laptop screen, the second time the screen has failed (and I returned it to them) and I bought the laptop late last year. The problem this time is that they are claiming that it was me who squeezed the laptop too much and damaged the screen but that is bull and they want to charge me around £400 for a screen replacement even its well within the 3 year warranty. What I have on my side is that I got a video of the laptop screen marking the night before and the repair centre sent me some additional photos with further damage that wasn't on the video and they must have caused.

I'm having a nightmare with this; but if I give in and pay for the repair its an admission that I broke it and I didn't.

any advice much appreciated. I have an interest in how the small claims court actually works so it may turn out to benefit me in that way. NOTE: I bought the laptop using my LIMITED company, not me the individual.
            Small claim court won't allow them to charge fees but they will try and move it to a court inconvenient for you.

The claim should be for the item having a pre-existing manufacturing fault which I think they will have to admit to given that video clip.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              I thought they were?
              No, that's the whole point of small claims.

Comment

Isn't there a consumer affairs ombudsman that handles these kinds of things?

I would lodge a complaint and/or seek their advise on your rights as a consumer.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  If well executed, potential PR damage is worth a lot more to them than you or your laptop.
                  Find out if this is a known issue with that particular model and read up on the chatter.
                  WHS

Pop along to the flagship store on a Saturday afternoon, smash the laptop down on the counter and tell them to take their tulip back
                  Even if you don't get a refund, it will probably be a lot more satisfying
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Costs are recoverable for the plaintiff but not for the defendant in the small claims court. So basically, your safe, go ahead.

However, its doubtful you'll win, judges take a pretty dim view of the bull in a china shop approach.

Better to persue it through sony's internal processes if you want a satisfactory outcome.

I know from experience, tried to take honda to court once.

Comment

Working...
                    X