• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trouble getting payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble getting payment

I am having a lot of trouble getting payment and am thinking of starting a website about this particular organisation publishing all our communications regarding this invoice.
    I know there are many other contractors also having trouble getting payment who I might invite to join me on the site. The sole purpose is to name and shame to help others avoid this situation.
    I do not intend to make any personal judgement on the case, solely reveal the date of the invoice and the communication between us. I am aware the law is loaded on the side of the employer on the whole, where do I stand.
    Thankyou

Have you tried going through the normal method of dunning and debt-recovery?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you not to, but I think that you should go through the usual procedures first and save your heavy artillery if they fail...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I don't think naming and shaming will help your cause to be honest and is more likely to backfire spectacularly IMO. I don't see other business's doing this when they don't get paid so doesn't strike me as being particularly professional. Obviously I don't know the situation but I would proceed with caution.

There are plenty of threads on non-payment here right up to court proceedings and every option before then. Try having a search for them and doing it properly first?

EDIT : I would think carefully about your situation and the terminology you use as well. If you start a thread up complaining using the term 'employer' you are more likely to invite an IR35 investigation than you are get your money.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mattoid View Post
        I am having a lot of trouble getting payment and am thinking of starting a website about this particular organisation publishing all our communications regarding this invoice.
        I know there are many other contractors also having trouble getting payment who I might invite to join me on the site. The sole purpose is to name and shame to help others avoid this situation.
        I do not intend to make any personal judgement on the case, solely reveal the date of the invoice and the communication between us. I am aware the law is loaded on the side of the employer on the whole, where do I stand.
        Thankyou
        I'd park this idea at the 'thinking' stage...
        Hope this helps.
        OscaR
        one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by The Mattoid View Post
          The sole purpose is to name and shame to help others avoid this situation.
          Name and Shame won't work, you will get someone with deep pockets instructing a lawyer's to sue you for libel and then your website will be shutdown by the ISP or yourself for fear of getting a massive legal bill. Also, how are you going to know that the people you "shame" are actually in the wrong?

You are much better to focus your anger on documenting a proper dunning process and publish anonymised stories of how people recovered their unpaid debts.

Do a search for dunning on this web site and you will find a lot of advice for starters.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

If you are still hoping to receive payment our suggestion would be to avoid naming and shaming.

Whilst it would no doubt be massively satisfying, trust us when we say it won't help you get paid and will more than likely get you into legal difficulties.

And as northernlad rightly points out, using the wrong terminology could bring HMRC knocking!
            The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Working...
            X