• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extending upwards?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending upwards?

House is filled with crap. I need more space.

Extending outwards not really an option, and can't be arsed with the hassle and expense of moving.

House (detached) has low pitched roof - not a lot of headroom in the loft - can just about stand upright in the centre. Is making the roof steeper and installing dormers a practical option? Anyone done it, or seen it done? Presumably I'd lose a small bedroom to make room for stairs, but could get two nice big rooms and a bathroom and still have some storage in the loft space.

Dormer windows, my dear, dormer windows.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
      House is filled with crap.
      Start ebaying and sell off the crap you don't need rather than paying even more to house it
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Alternatively get rid of some of the crap.

I managed to get shot of at least 4 printers and 2 monitors the other day.

It's left room for some new crap.

Win win situation.

Currently debating whether to get rid of the (non working) daisywheel printer I bought in 1988.

I'm sure there's some nice nuts & bolts in it (and possibly a mouse's nest in the psu).

Most of it is husband's crap. I tried to throw out his windows 95 and NT3.5 training manuals at the weekend, but he was having none of it.

Not sure if it's high enough to make dormer windows practical - I think even at it's highest point it is too low.

Comment

To do a legal loft extension, you need, iirc, 6'10" room at the apex. If you dont have that, you will not get building regulation approval for the work done.

What you can do, is simply do all the work, and don't call the room a room as such, as once you say 'there is a room in the loft', you have to have building regs. If you have plastered out the walls and put windows into your loft, thats all you have done.

Daft rules, but hey ho.

Comment

Can be done, the main points to consider are:

Roof type, if it’s made from modern trusses then it’s harder as it's likely the trusses can’t take any part being cut out, if it’s an old style roof then it will be easier.

It’s likely your water tank is up there: do you have room to relocate it.

Are the rafters supported mid-way on load bearing walls or just on the external walls? Whichever you need to consider the existing footings / foundations: are they man enough or will you need major underpinning (all those nice flower beds & patios around your perimeter will need to be dug up. & if there is an internal load bearing wall then up with the floor boards)

It’s not just the weight of the additional roof members but the flooring & dead loads too.

Planning permission: if it looks too different to other surrounding homes then you won’t get it, another thing to consider is if the roof gets raised then you could be blocking someone’s light.

Roof covering: if it’s just felt, batten & tile then you will need to insulate & board the inside (this will add 100 – 150mm to the roof thickness)

If it’s just space you are after, then an eco shed will be easier & cheaper, or a room above the garage?

Just some points to consider: I suggest you get a structural engineer out to do a survey & let you know what your options are.
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              To do a legal loft extension, you need, iirc, 6'10" room at the apex. If you dont have that, you will not get building regulation approval for the work done.

What you can do, is simply do all the work, and don't call the room a room as such, as once you say 'there is a room in the loft', you have to have building regs. If you have plastered out the walls and put windows into your loft, thats all you have done.

Daft rules, but hey ho.
              Yep, but can you make the apex steeper? Is it practical?

House is pretty much like this - actually more like the one next door with the flat roof on the front porch and no bay window.

Comment

House is filled with crap. I need more space.

Extending outwards not really an option, and can't be arsed with the hassle and expense of moving.

House (detached) has low pitched roof - not a lot of headroom in the loft - can just about stand upright in the centre. Is making the roof steeper and installing dormers a practical option? Anyone done it, or seen it done? Presumably I'd lose a small bedroom to make room for stairs, but could get two nice big rooms and a bathroom and still have some storage in the loft space.
                Several options :-
                1. get rid of rubbish
                2. use a self store company
                3. do as you suggest.

We have had 2 extensions added including a loft one exactly as you describe. It was part of permitted development (15% of original space of house). We could only get rear dormer as that is all the neighbours have - next road along has front dormers.

We did a planning search and used same architect as the last people to have an extension. He still had the plans so very cheap and knew the process well. We got a HUGE bedroom plus a bathroom and loads of storage space. Could have had 2 reasonable bedrooms.

Our stairs go above the existing stairs so no space lost.

You are welcome to pop round and see it - as long as you bring your 23 year old blonde nubile twin sister.

Comment

Most of it is husband's crap. I tried to throw out his windows 95 and NT3.5 training manuals at the weekend, but he was having none of it.

Not sure if it's high enough to make dormer windows practical - I think even at it's highest point it is too low.
                  Download a few programmes about hoarders and make him watch them, then ask again.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yep, but can you make the apex steeper? Is it practical?

House is pretty much like this - actually more like the one next door with the flat roof on the front porch and no bay window.
                    Have any of the houses you have seen like that had a loft extension?

Comment

Working...
                    X